Why isn't N-Propanol (C3H8O, CAS 71-23-8) used for extraction?

If you have a race track near by ask them how they price their methanol by the gallon. I get mine for $6/gal, good folks too.

Idk, I’m going off of dielectric constant as a rough estimate of polarity. Propene has a higher dielectric constant than propane. This trend usually indicates greater degree of polarity or dipole movement.

What about N-Butanol?

Definitely gonna be harder to source locally than methanol. Dielectric constant of butanol or propanol are both lower than ethanol and both are more non polar than ethanol. But both take more energy to evaporate than ethanol or methanol and are likely more expensive per 55gal drum. This greater tendency towards non polarity probably won’t translate to a better option as a solvent. In fact its probably have the opposite effect.

This tendency towards non polarity is only going to mean that lipids will have a greater affinity to dissolve into the more non polar alcohols at any given temperature, which means winterization in these solvents will be less effective.

The main reason to use any alcohol is as a post processing step to remove the waxes. If your solvent has a greater ability to hold waxes, even at low temps then your ability to clean up your extract with that solvent is significantly less than if you used methanol.

What exactly is your intended use if propanol or butanol?

1 Like

You should look into using Spirytus Wesoly 192 Proof Vodka. There’s no corn smell. how do you deodorize everclear

Haven’t looked into it yet, but you’ve piqued my interest…

Good info in Wikipedia…

There’s a prior thread on that too

1 Like