Why is this THCv black

Got a sample of “hemp derived” d9 thcv. I’ve only worked with THCv from biomass. I assume this is conversion material. Hoping some of the conversion fam here can explain why very high potency d9 thcv would be jet black.

I’m perplexed

2 Likes

COA is from @kcalabs

@kcalabs are the d9 thcv samples you get often black.
COA says mid 90s THCv. Looks like the rest is activated charcoal :joy:

2 Likes

yes thats normal as it oxidizes imediatly once its out from under inert atmosphere

95%with remaing D8thcv is mediocre at best tho

1 Like

Yes, we often see the dark color upon arrival.

Shipping under argon and on ice is advised. With a heads up we would extract it as soon as possible upon arrival to limit the color and chemical change.

Why does my equality pure bio derived THCv not turn black at all. It oxidizes less than normal d9…

is it d8 or d9thcv ?

For comparison here is some similar potency bio d9 thcv that has been sitting in normal atmosphere for months.

Can literally see my shoes through it

so thats extracted from biomass and 90% plus on potency? sorry im just trying to fully understand i understand what you are saying

It’s about 85% d9 thcv and is from biomass high in THCv.

One of the other coas from the hemp derived vendor was at 87% d9 thcv and looked equally black. Seems like the shit color is coming exclusively from the conversion process.

2 Likes

i have never worked with that material.; Everything has been fully synthetic or converted from CBDV. I have seen CBDV conversions at 98% be close to water clear when placed under a inert atmoshphere imediediatly turn black when getting exposed to oxygen

The synthetic material i have worked with was a more deep translucent red that was totally clear if you shined a light through it - it never turned black when exposed

Interesting, well it’s a bit concerning that synthetic/semi synthetic d9 THCv of similar potency has vastly different physical characteristics/stability compared to biomass derived d9 thcv. Leads me to believe something from the reaction is causing side reactions or maybe the ph is all out of whack.

I can’t see how this would be safe for consumption without at least some information as to wtf is causing the difference. Same goes for any conversation though this one compound just has a large tell from the color of it.

5 Likes

We should test it again now and see if the potency has changed. There are likely other synthesis byproducts present that are not found in the amber colored material you have.

3 Likes

nah i wouldnt say that - i think its fairly common on conversions. we are doing some testing on stability , color etc on the both the synthetic material and the cbdv conversions . i think its similar to how high potency D9 will oxidize the same way this just does it quicker. Thats not what the material looks like coming oiut of the distillation or when its first bottled up

pure CBN thats not a loose floculent powder and actual micro crystalline solids will do the same thing

that simply is not true - i would choose the higher potency that oxidizes any day over a 85% didtillate but like i said that material is mediocre at best at 95% and residual d8thcv because it means ther CBDV still had residual CBD in it so maybe that material isnt the best representatiojn

What is not true? It likely is synthetic from CBDV given the color change.

Looking at similar data we can see peaks for iso-THCV.

3 Likes

well duh that material is mediocre at best at 95%

Conversion or synthetic the molecule is the same but what comes along with it is not. If they do not behave the same which as someone who works with THCv biomass I can confirm they do not, that is definitely caused by something.

4 Likes

mayhbe the synthetic route is making a more opticaly pure product then the cbdv conversion or whats coming out of the biomass. Maybe that has something to do with how it behaves as well

That could make sense if their 87% d9 thcv wasn’t also black. I’m gonna run this little bio derived I have through a flash column and see if I can get it to upper 90s. If it’s still not black that is indeed concerning.

Again I’m a biomass guy, I’ve literally never smoked a single hit of converted anything but I would assume it’s cbdv conversion and not synthetic based on the potency alone but it sounds like you are saying synthetic and cbdv converted both behave like this?

2 Likes

have you seen what it looks like when its first bottled up? the vendor you got the from wouldnt be my first choice either for these kinds of products - if they are only getting 87% \from a conversion then its some poor chemistry definetly

no im saying the synthetic stuff does not turn black or oxidize like the CBDV conversions. Its a deep red and totally translucent and see through unlike the material you posted

1 Like