Why is this THCv black

I see that makes sense. I would expect fully synthetic to have less side reactions than converted.

I’ll post results in a few days when I get the bio stuff to a higher purity.

I don’t think there is a chance in hell I would smoke this currently.

thcv isnt very active when smoked. however its one of my if not favorite minors in a tincture or gummy.

Ya I found the same that eating it is way better than smoking it. I currently make hard pressed THCv pills. I’ve found really high doses with equal parts d9 to be extremely euphoric and almost amphetamine like. Pretty cool coming from cannabis but I think I would feel better about consuming the amphetamines then this stuff :joy:

5 Likes

nah ive consumed tons of the oxidiized material and im still fine. I think its one of the most slept on noids out there and once the pricepoint gets stabalized its really going to gain traction across multiple industrys because it works and its a definite replacement for amphetamines

3 Likes

Is the starting material for CBDV → THCv pretty pure or are people starting with 90% CBDV?

If it’s consistently 99% CBDV going in and coming out 90% THCv then 10% are other things made from CBDV.

If it’s 90% CBDV going in and coming out 90% d9 thcv then it’s the other stuff turning into god knows what after going through the reaction.

@oilburner1 I’m not totally convinced the color is just oxidization. If it were you would think it would be consistent.

2 Likes

i mean you should be using 99% CBDV isolate but as you know people will cut corners out of greed

i think not having a pure 99% CBDV for the conversion and having trace % of CBD in the CBDV will defiently add to side reactions. I dont think that’s the cause tho for the oxidation

1 Like

from what ive seen the cbdv conversion all immediately oxidize from a light yellow/clear to that black charcoal color you have when exposed to oxygen. that for me has been consistent

I have yet to get any material sealed in a inert environment be that charcoal black without first being exposed to oxygen

thats just my expierence working with the stuff definetly take it as you will - defiently still working on getting more data on all this including degradation and shelf life studies

1 Like

Thought this was interesting info, most claim it to be colorless but when reducing solvent volumes to 10/1 from 100/1 they remove the colorless claim, a light coloring at 10/1 tho for sure isnt diluted straight black product like that tho. Ive diluted enough oils to say that confidently w.o trying but your welcome to dilute a gram yourself and compare to the 12 research labs that have samples/tests/analysis posted.

Appears to be like early CBG conversions to me when people were claiming 90-95%+ and it looked like brown crumble which resulted in 75ish% tests after receiving their “certificate of analysis”

Also if your doing conversions that are exposed to oxygen than yikes lol.

1 Like

Jesus, looks like it has nickel or manganese in it

3 Likes

Either this is due to coupling with a specific byproduct of the synthesis, or the natural one contains an adequate anti-oxidant.

Does the color remain when you melt it ?

5 Likes

‘bio’ THCV will be contracted with minor cannabinoids and terpenes that work as antioxidants, as well as providing very different oxidation colors. Sadly color doesn’t really tell you a lot

Definitely no terpenes in this bio THCv as it is distillate. It does have some d9 in it though. Gonna run a flash column and hopefully get good separation but another lab I know already got >96% THCv and it had no black harsh oxidization to it at all.

Is this a thread about racism against hemp?

2 Likes

why would the pigment change/segregate itself if melted :thinking:

1 Like

Ya looks like squid ink when it melts.

6 Likes

ok yeah that defiently doesnt sound right. Could you post a pic of the melt?

The material ive worked with that oxidized melted down clearish/yellow

No surprise condidering the vendor of the materil

Because the matrix of the material is different so too shall the light reflecting through it. Think isolate for instance, It’s bright white, but almost every batch I’ve ever melted turns a light gold/amber once liquid.

Because it still has pigment in it and since it takes up less space melted(more condensed) vs as a powder or crystal it shows(reflects) the color more. Still doesnt answer why he thinks melting it down would not reflect the color/pigment in so. My thought was hes trying to see if some solids/catalysts would seperate/be shown more clearly when melted but :man_shrugging:

If theres some reasoning im missing im all ears and would like to hear. But thats not the same case here.