Why is my silikate pulver getting thru my filter paper? I can’t seem to get it out of my crude

Thanks guys. Got it now. I wasn’t rinsing my cake enough. It was my first time using silikate pulver. Before I was using Magsil PR which has a much larger particle size so nothing ever came thru.

1 Like

Would anyone be so kind as to elaborate on a proper method for washing/rinsing cake and/or AC to prevent this from occurring? I have been using summit research AC/silikate pulver along with a .45 micron PES membrane and seem to be having the same issue.

Hello, as other have said here silikate is pretty fine media and is likely getting through your paper. Filter paper is a great tool, but it has micron limitations. It is also not a depth media. You will want to look at a higher efficiency rated filter media to remove that product 100% and we do carry such media. Thanks, Greg

Celite should be the base of almost any filter stack; it’ll catch all your problems without impeding flow

1 Like

I got concerned because a few people started mentioning the DE having impacts on their color (in a negative way). Anyone have any details? Sounds like a crock of shit to me but then again, it never hurts to revisit your assumptions

2 Likes

De or any amorphous silica has zero impact to color. If used correctly it’s basically a inert material in flow. Has zero bearing on color. Might clarify greatly. Id color changes poorly there is something in the powder or filtration run off setup.

2 Likes

Appreciate the confirmation that I’m not crazy lol

1 Like

All magic dirts are not built the same. Pending on the source/supply I’d imagine it’s POSSIBLE that there’s some stuff out there that might have a negative effect on color, even just do to a potential pH change. But a neutral DE/silica shouldn’t do anything in theory.

2 Likes

Bingo.
There also what’s called slippage. It’s portions between large transfers either before or after that can have slightly diff source material or extreme density in dust. Happens in package large quantities.

You’re having media get through the .45 micron PES filter?

I’ve heard of bad batches of de that can oxidize your oil turning it dark yes. Source good de

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

It’s a 1 micron filter

@whoisjohngalt is using 0.45um and apparently having the “same” problem.

Although at 0.45um I’m suspicious that we are looking at “around” rather than “through”.

Hence @AlexSiegel’s (incredulous?)

Search!

First hit to Search results for 'washing powders' - Future4200 seems like a win.

Edit: nope!!

So I’ll point you here instead

And suggest reading the first post of TheLostBiologist Bucket and Post Processing Tek for Golden Extract thoroughly.

1 Like

Thanks for the spoonful, I should do better… Either way I appreciate the help

1 Like

Yes I would agree that it is more likely an around problem than a through problem, although we’ve tried different funnel set ups with similar results. The “problem” is specs/debris arriving in rotary evaporator ball sporadically, an issue that has been kicked around a bunch in different posts to seemingly inconclusive results. The cause has been a big mystery and with no clear answer we had to consider AC/media passing through the .45um membrane and crashing out, as unlikely as that seems. At this point, we are leaning strongly towards salt being the culprit, not media

It can also be salts fyi. Think about where some de beds come from :point_up_2::point_up_2:

2 Likes

In the roto most of those specs are sugars and salts fyi. From the extract mostly.

2 Likes

THAT is the piece that has been missing every other time I’ve seen you respond “salt” in the “sugar?” threads…

Thank you!

Presumably one could get salts sans media if the grower decided to spice up your extraction for you too.

2 Likes