Why is my silikate pulver getting thru my filter paper? I can’t seem to get it out of my crude

After my carbon scrub I’m filtering thru a silikate pulver puck over stage 3 summit filter paper. Can’t figure out why it’s getting thru

Probably not as nuanced as you’d like but it’s either going around the paper (not seated) or your paper isn’t fine enough :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m using a hochstrom it can’t be going around.

1 Like

If you say so then it must be getting through. Not meaning to be cryptic but that’s pretty much it. For reference, AC is usually around 0.5um at its finest. So if you’re filtering with a 2um paper that could be the issue. If you’re using media to filter the AC out, make sure you wash the fines out so there’s nothing finer than around 4um otherwise those fines will pull through

5 Likes

Do you clean your powder before using it? If you’re using heptane, clean your powder with heptane until the powder particles stop coming through your filter. At that point the filter is ready for your material.

If you put a celite bed beneath your silica that will help stop the silica but you’ll still need to wash the celite off as well and maybe still need to wash the silica too

3 Likes

Why not tag in @spdking considering they are his products

5 Likes

But me up in am and I can walk you through your steps to see what’s happening.

4 Likes

Do you have any experience with celpure or purifide xg12?

I’m new here. Thanks for the tip

I dont

Thanks guys. Got it now. I wasn’t rinsing my cake enough. It was my first time using silikate pulver. Before I was using Magsil PR which has a much larger particle size so nothing ever came thru.

1 Like

Would anyone be so kind as to elaborate on a proper method for washing/rinsing cake and/or AC to prevent this from occurring? I have been using summit research AC/silikate pulver along with a .45 micron PES membrane and seem to be having the same issue.

Hello, as other have said here silikate is pretty fine media and is likely getting through your paper. Filter paper is a great tool, but it has micron limitations. It is also not a depth media. You will want to look at a higher efficiency rated filter media to remove that product 100% and we do carry such media. Thanks, Greg

Celite should be the base of almost any filter stack; it’ll catch all your problems without impeding flow

1 Like

I got concerned because a few people started mentioning the DE having impacts on their color (in a negative way). Anyone have any details? Sounds like a crock of shit to me but then again, it never hurts to revisit your assumptions

2 Likes

De or any amorphous silica has zero impact to color. If used correctly it’s basically a inert material in flow. Has zero bearing on color. Might clarify greatly. Id color changes poorly there is something in the powder or filtration run off setup.

2 Likes

Appreciate the confirmation that I’m not crazy lol

1 Like

All magic dirts are not built the same. Pending on the source/supply I’d imagine it’s POSSIBLE that there’s some stuff out there that might have a negative effect on color, even just do to a potential pH change. But a neutral DE/silica shouldn’t do anything in theory.

2 Likes

Bingo.
There also what’s called slippage. It’s portions between large transfers either before or after that can have slightly diff source material or extreme density in dust. Happens in package large quantities.

You’re having media get through the .45 micron PES filter?