Why doesnt stomach acid cause isomerization in vivo?

I’d almost bet you’d have some serious diarrhea trying… that would take a shit ton of cbd

3 Likes

Have fun wiping those crystals…

4 Likes

Seriously though, if we could create a product that has no trouble emulsifying with stomach acid I’ve got no doubt that you’d get high from ingesting enough of it.

Thw diarrhea would most certainly be severe though…

3 Likes

Definitely an interesting idea but probably not a safe one to try and perform as you would need to use a ton of cytochrome p450 enzyme inhibitor to stop your bodies natural conversion from
hydroxy -11 or 11-COOH and then introduce a new catalyst into your stomach acids (which humans only have about 100ml of) and a binding agent to extend the half life of the cannabinoid to actually have enough time perform the conversion which then wouldn’t work because you inhibited your bodies abilities to convert them into your bloodstream

11 Likes

You’re saying that you would need to first convert the CBD into THC and then allow that to be metabolized into the 11 hydroxy analogue to get high from this process?

Not disputing just trying to get confirmation as a layman.

@TheWillBilly

Otherwise CBD will act as the substrate and produce 11 hydroxy CBD or something similar?

2 Likes

Your saying enzymes being present would hinder the correct pathway that it would need to take to get the same metabolite that gets you high from ingesting rather than smoking?

2 Likes

could I just swallow some kitty litter

1 Like

by inhibiting the p450 enzymes to force a different reaction in your body you wouldn’t have the enzymes required to process the D8

even without the enzymes your body will process the D8 but you would need a lot because it has an extremely low bioavailability

5 Likes

Thanks for saying ur piece mister

Anyone around the tacoma area wants to donate some analytic capacity I’m up to put myself through some abuse

For science

5 Likes

Don’t forget the jumping Jacks

5 Likes

Not a terrible idea at all. The word you’re looking for is “prodrug”.

Acid catalyzed prodrugs are not a totally new concept. There’s been examples of sort of-this using benzoate esters to control stability on cancer drugs.

I do not know why this would be needed for a typical drug so these other patents may have been for totally different processes. This all would be a highly unusual requirement for a drug where you choose to change isomers after ingestion rather than before. It’s probably been done for some reason or another if you want to go rifle through Google patents using keywords “stomach acid catalyzed” “prodrug” “lipid” etc. I just can’t wrap my head around why you’d want to put all the heavy lifting on the patients stomach for any reason other than prohibition though. This idea in general is definitely not new for controlled substances though.

This is a terrible idea but for the sake of the discussion: if you slowed gastric emptying (think micelles) you could force the cannabinoids to linger around in the stomach acid longer. Whether or not this would facilitate a partial conversion, I have no idea. 11-hydroxy wouldn’t be until liver enzymes get involved. It would be a totally uncontrolled, random outcome and be extremely different from person-to-person but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible. Micelles can make things stay in the stomach for 3-4 hours. I do not know if this would also slow the reaction so again just spitballing here. Go ferment some nano CBD greek yogurt (casein micelles) and see what happens.

6 Likes

I have a friend who claimed to eat a couple grams of isolate after fasting all day and claimed to wake up feeling pretty stoned. He also only used cannabis a couple times a year so tolerance could be part of it. I wasn’t convinced but hey someone should try it. For science

2 Likes

Why does it have to be in vivo, just sell a product that does a small amount of isomerization like the stupid joke I and someone else made a long time ago.

1 Like

I’m not looking to make a product, I’m just curious.

1 Like

I do wonder what would happen if one were to ingest an active reaction. Like a lemon juice, citric acid, isolate cocktail shaken with olive oil and sunflower lecithin and allowed to sit for a few hours. Would the intermediate chemistry be toxic unquenched?

4 Likes

I doubt it but I don’t really know. It might be a good idea to drink some tea to heat up your stomach a little bit so more conversion happens.

This is an active reaction chromatogram on an SRI GC. Those three peaks right before the three cannabinoids I believe are intermediates. I think you’re correct, but I’ve never consumed something that had those in them.

2 Likes

I can definitely see the resulting cannabinoid soup having a lot of extra mystery in it. Lots of reactants available.

2 Likes

Yes this - all before your stomach naturally pushes the material out of itself and into your intestines which would then already be neutralized and processed and then after some time rocked up in pH to a basic environment. For most people the time liquid stay in the stomach is super short - there’s lot of other goop in there that gets all wonky.

Hell many pharma companies work really hard these days to get things out of your stomach and into your intestines, since things hang out in their longer AND possibly have a better chance to enter your bloodstream - without necessarily having to go through your liver and stuff first. -shrug-

2 Likes