Why doesnt stomach acid cause isomerization in vivo?

Title says it all, why don’t I get high from eating a gram of CBD?

Is it because cbd can’t interact with the acid fast enough before it’s eliminated from the stomach?

What would make the acid more able to react with the CBD? I’m thinking that a stable emulsion in water would be sufficient to maximize the amount of acid to CBD contact or maybe dissolving in some alcohol before emulsifying.

I’m sure that some isomerixation takes place, but how could I turn my stomach into a reactor.

6 Likes

?what

Acid catalyzes isomerization from CBD to THC, your stomach produces acid. Whats not to get.

1 Like

Sorry I offended you princess.

2 Likes

It’s a good question… not stupid at all.

10 Likes

This is how I’m seeing it… the reason p-tosic acid is so effective for isomerization is due to the fact that it’s quite soluble in organic solvents, so it can readily react with the CBD in solution.

Heres a few theories why I think it’s not being isomerized:

1. Most people one who have a water soluble CBD product aren’t ingesting enough CBD at one time to have enough in their tummy to elicit a high from it. So we’ve just got no reports of it happening yet.
  2. Maybe the water soluble emulsion of CBD is no longer a stable emulsion when it comes in contact with with your stomach juices. (This is why I suggested alcohol, maybe it can bridge the gap of solubilities. Although it may require too much alcohol to be feasible.)
  3. If the CBD is dissolved in an oil carrier, stomach acid will not emulsify with an oil because the acids aren’t very soluble in oils unless there is a surfactant present and I’m sure that would give you the shits.

Idk, can anyone think of anything else?

2 Likes

It CAN happen.

3 Likes

I think @TheWillBilly is the man to ask

3 Likes

Let’s hope he moseys on over here.

2 Likes

He works on enzymes a lot…

3 Likes

That’s a hell of an idea! I’d like to just drop a couple grams of cbd iso… Wonder what would happen? Would it have to be in solution in a solvent, or could it just react? Hell of an idea!

1 Like

Sidestep all the D8 gummy douchebags :joy:

2 Likes

Probably not a good idea to drop too much CBD at one time, but still I’d like to try to get to the bottom of this.

In case you didn’t want to read, hepatotoxicity is a concern at high doses.

2 Likes

Take a shot of lemon juice, lick 5g of CBD isolate off your wrist, 50x jumping jacks.

For science

30 Likes

I’ll throw in a double shot of tequila n get back to u

7 Likes

What for the exothermic reaction… If you feel warm it’s not the booze… Entirely…

5 Likes

I’ve never even eaten any CBD, I just posed the question that way because I thought I’d get more responses.

If someone smart could pose the question correctly that’d be greeeeaaaat.
lumbergh

1 Like

No way 5g of CBD and a shot of lemon juice overheats a person by any meaningful amount

2 Likes

Idk bro I gave this 1 guy acid n he was sweating like a mf

3 Likes

I was just teasing more than anything. I’m still laughing at doing jumping jacks after licking bumps of cbd off of my wrist!

3 Likes