Why do my separators funnels keep breaking...Ive

@Hansel

8 Likes

Fixed*

2 Likes

Always make sure to check for solvent in your cock hole. Refer to image below…

7 Likes

Draining into ss pots for base then quartbjats for solvent

1 Like

now that more believable

2 Likes

nah man these are empty when happens and yes I vent till no more pressure the. Remove lid for the set

Haha. Well played

I told him that this what he said

Yes right

1 Like

This is from the PTFE that creeps into the glass bore. You have to take them apart after use. The longer it’s stored under pressure the worse it will get.

4 Likes

I never ever store it under pressure…while I wait for it to separate I even remove the cap

It could be the manufacturing on the glass barrels as well.
It usually happens after stored for a long time. I think it being in the barrel for long enough even when not very tight is going to cause some creep.

2 Likes

I’d have to agree with you on some points.

Glass breaking in the same place is usually caused by user error. Something you’re doing is causing stress.

2 Likes

As far as siphoning goes, these help a lot to get all of your top layer without grabbing any of the bottom layer. I have a few sizes so that nothing gets left behind.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Lab-Glass-Cylinder-250ml/dp/B0761MXFSV/ref=sr_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=Lab+Cylinders+glass&qid=1620823864&s=industrial&sr=1-23

1 Like

I have a few sep funnels from dave at usalab. Zero broke (knock on wood). I toss all my heads n tails in sep funnels to scavenge the last bit of distillate

1 Like

:point_up: this

5 Likes

I don’t think he is using fluorinated hydrocarbons, that is about the only thing that could swell ptfe besides heat.

3 Likes

Have you been separating a deemster slurry with it?

1 Like

Im assuming its the moisture from his aqueous layer eventually collecting down at the spout which will defiently cause PTFE to expand

Another possibility is as the oils harden and expands between the glass and the PTFE

3 Likes

Where did you get that info? I work with lots of ptfe as a machinist, and in the lab. First time I have heard of this?

https://www.ptfeplastics.com/project/ptfe-in-laboratories/

3 Likes

Really depends.on what kind of PTFE your using Unfilled PTFE does not absorb water. Filled PTFE compounds absorb small amounts of moisture . Since PTFE resin and fillers are not hygroscopic, any moisture picked up simply fills the voids.

1 Like