Why do my separators funnels keep breaking...Ive

Yes its ptfe

1 Like

Should be you would think, so no swelling. But still… Just a weird spot to consistently break. Might have to do with no cleaning it, and when the stuff dries up it might be doing something. Swelling around the stopcock? I dunno?

2 Likes

heat is about the only thing that would swell it?

1 Like

I extract about 100f but this wasn’t during extraction 4 days after just setting there

2 Likes

I think if you looked at the glass with a polariscope you’d see stress concentrated in that area.
Could be a bad annealing job? @david ?

2 Likes

Qhats this mean soxs…I have no clue

1 Like

75/50 is the joint size he is asking about.
looks like a spherical joint.

1 Like

whats he wanting me to do? Can I help him find this draw? Can u help.ms.find it soxs

And what will it do

1 Like

For what? do you need a spherical joint?
If it is a sep funnel a standard taper 24/40 should work fine.
Perhaps @david didn’t understand you, or what you were asking for?

left over lye creating heat and swelling stop cock ?

1 Like

Nah,
The exothermic part is done before the liquid liquid extraction.

3 Likes

So make sure i wait till extorhedmic is done always…I usually do …this one I waited

Guess back.to.Fing syphon

1 Like

how does the funnel work for separating pulls?

1 Like

Try 1 of those other ones with the Y. You should be bale to get everything out of it from the looks of the picture

1 Like

Shake it up like salad dressing and then wait it splits

2 Likes

This is what he said…I have no idea what it means…he’s making me another one

1 Like

he is asking you for a drawing for an unrelated job it looks like?
Tell him 24/40 on the top joint is fine, and you want a rotoviz valve at the bottom.

1 Like

Are you venting? If your leaving solvent in there it could be causing the explosion. It could be solvent stuck in the ptfe stop cock hole too.

9 Likes

Could it possibly be caused or aggravated by accidentally over tightening the stopcock nut from always rotating the valve one way? Probably not, but I’m always careful to only tighten the stopcock nut as little as needed to get a good seal.

Maybe the spherical joint was brought up because it could reduce stress on the skinny part of the funnel if the bottom was a spherical joint sitting on top of your receiving flask. It would allow for a little wiggle, where a standard taper is going to be solid, passing more stress to the weak part of the funnel.

Are you attaching anything to the bottom joint, or just draining into a tray/beaker or something @StoneD?

3 Likes

it’s the summit elves…they come out late at night destroying Chinese glassware …I’ve seent them

16 Likes