Why did the industry move away from PG?

With all the news and shit going on, I am curious why the industry moved from PG based flavoring? It seems to me, that PG has been used in eCigs for a long time.

3 Likes

Cannabinoids don’t dissolve well in pg unless emulsified and even then I believe it still separates

4 Likes

I have tried flavor concentrates with zero nicotine from The flavor apprentice that were pretty good. It has a trace amount of pg. I think traditionally people were trying to lower the viscosity on their oil using pg and it’s a tough emulsion to keep from separating.

I have no idea what actually goes into making those flavors however nor do I know the safety hazards of vaping them

Is this a problem with disty? Or was it a problem with unwinterized oil they used to put in carts back in the day?

Disty pg is a water soluble

1 Like

Wrongo, sorry. They dissolve great in PG. Not miscible with vg however and when mixed together will crash out. That needs emulsified but even sonicated separates over time

I can’t speak on these specifics for the cannabis industry as a whole, but I can tell you what I see as an ejuice manufacturer and what happened from the outside looking in.

PEG and PEG 400 are similar compounds to PG. Peg sucks, it’s harsh and has shown some health impacts. But was actually used before pg.

PG was thrown out with the bathwater, guilt by association so to say, not “natural”. Later, here comes MCT, everyone here loves it because it’s more “natural”. In reality it’s disgusting and every cart with MCT tastes like shit. Also, it’s new. There’s been no studies with MCT and vaping it. At least not to scale the ejuice industry. But as happens in communities information and misconceptions fester and revolve around the echo chamber. That leads to an industry with that can collectively agree on something incorrect.

So from what I’ve seen? Echo chamber.

3 Likes

I’ve mixed disty with pg/vg and always had seperation after a week in carts.

Granted I only mixed well, not emulsified the mix.

1 Like

for the most part… terpenes and aroma compounds suspended in PG makes the bulk of any flavor house(TPA, capella, flavorah, flavour art…etc)

1 Like

PG is soluble with oleoresin, vg is not. Vg/PG are miscible with each other, but if You add all 3, oleoresin gets kicked out of the party.

2 Likes

i found that peg is more stable than PG when mixed with disty but when u add VG…anything above a certain percentage will separate unless you can find that proper balance between the 3
ive been R&Ding this for a month now and they still haven’t separated

1 Like

I thought peg and peg 400 was made for cutting concentrates to be vaped as thc is barely soluble in pg and vg. To my understanding vg and pg can only dissolve up to 20/30 percent of the which would bring us back to why vape a pg/vg mix if it isn’t an efficient delivery system

Typically no more than 100mg / ml and your fine, but have still seen it crash after time. Congrats on the formula, it’s doable just can’t push it too far. Keep an eye on it for about 12 more weeks. After that you’re fine. You’ll get oxidation and it was get dark, almost brown. Still fine just a visual change

1 Like

It’s a great delivery system actually. People just don’t want to put the time in research and look for magic shit in a bottle. Peg 400 is thicker, but it’s harsh as shit and has known health impacts. Peg was probably the first diluent I’ve seen used besides pure grain alcohol but the vaping industry moved away from it when we found out it could be harmful. We’ve always been great with self regulation. It’s sad, because of all this shit vaping got the target on our back, and I lost 75% of my business due to this.

Without a surfactant PG/VG are not miscible, even when a homogenizer is employed. Try mixing 300ml of VG with 200ml of PG. What you’ll discover is the PG falls out of solution in about 3 hours.

https://catscientific.com/

Here’s a 2017 study that concluded PEG and PG produced more cancer causing compounds (acetaldehyde, acrolein, and formaldehyde) when vaping at 230C than MCT or VG.

When making carts, I’ve found VG doesn’t mix well. PG and MCT work great, MCT better than PG. Also find that the buyers prefer more “natural” products. Not saying that they are better. Let’s be honest, smoking anything is going to be harmful to your lungs. But being able to say it’s MCT oil from coconuts instead of PG is valuable marketing.

Not true. If that was the case every ejuice on the shelf would separate across the world

3 Likes

And deadly. Coconut oil is a lipid and will cause lipid pneumonia.

1 Like

I dont like the terrible throat hit PG gives. It’s the worse. Threw my gallon of PG away shortly after buying it to experiment years ago.

1 Like

i call BS lol
90% of ejuices out there has a ratio of 70/30 and hold perfectly for years without EVER separating …and also without the use of a fancy homogenizer.

1 Like