Why Are People Still Making Shatter?

We get it to a certain level. We’re not selling butane slabs lol

6 Likes

It’s very common all over Oregon, it’s also consistently the cheapest BHO sku on the shelf at every dispensary.

2 Likes

Sounds like it still matters
I lived in Portland and recall the popularity.

1 Like

And how many years ago did you live in Portland?
You have any idea how fast the market changes in Oregon?

Most those labs selling the shatter are now going out of business so I would say it does matter to them and that’s probably why they are failing.

Why would anyone buy a 4-5% terpene content shatter over a 8-15% terpene content sugar style output?

Educated Custys wont. People that are stuck in the old mindset may but that’s a dying breed. The shelf’s are filled with higher terpene content skus that can’t even be shatter. Shatter is always the lowest priced sku and we can sell our higher quality skus at the same price or lower than that shatter so in time I’m pretty sure shatter will be a thing of the past.

6 Likes

Thanks @TheGratefulPhil for moving all this!

1 Like

We’re in the same area lol
Shatter isn’t popular at any of the several shops company I works for in SD owns and it sure has hell isn’t popular on the trap side. People like the fact it’s only worth 600 a kilo and that’s about it.
About 15 grams a week across 6 licensed shops. 2 of which are extreme high volume busy ass shops.
Shit is basically impossible to move.

4 Likes

I still have shatter orders, 1.) client request 2.) if we get old terp less trim it’s much better (in my opinion) to do some crc remediation and make some good looking shatter. I actually know some people thy can make bomb badders and sugars but don’t know how to make a stable shatter so they hate it or don’t like it lol. Seriously, why not turn old terp less trim into shatter? Idk I don’t see nothing wrong manufacturing any product. As long as there is a demand o will make it. Although, I personally just smoke liquid diamonds and terps or diamonds dipped in terps.

7 Likes

Why not turn that material into diamonds tho. Every slab is a loss compared to turning it into diamonds and if it can be shatter it can be diamonds.

5 Likes

You’re a diamond master that answer should be obvious

2 Likes

So I’m just making it for fun? If there’s a flood of extract, why would I want to make only one product with it? I’ll formulate as the orders come as long as there’s profit involved

1 Like

Demand.

1 Like

Or sugar. Spin it clean and use that for infused prerolls. Which I make more off that than my normal concentrates do per g. If I get enough HT from it, I’ll make like 50% more per g putting that into disty/ht carts.

2 Likes

Read the note where I said 15 units across 6 shops lol
@Waxplug1 idk why you make it, must be for fun because it isn’t for max profit

My response was to why not to turn everything into diamonds. Highest profit, lowest demand; for now. That comes down to customer education and perception of value.

I too prefer sugars, but won’t it be funny if after all this is determined shatter or isolate are about the only safe ways to consume cannabis products because high levels of terpene inhalation is dangerous. Kinda cool to see where research and legislation goes with it.

2 Likes

No diamonds have extreme demand lol
Diamonds and liquid diamonds are probably the highest demand products in Cali you can make with butane. Even HTE demand had plummeted but good diamonds still disappear faster than I can crash them.

4 Likes

Maybe for you. I know several people that produced far more diamond than there was demand for in their portion of the market and already don’t make diamonds anymore because the sales were in other products. Like the disposable pods you mentioned. That doesn’t count as a diamond sale.

easy to make, easy to judge quality, if its stable its easy to handle, not super smelly, sort of easily shippable (but I suppose diamonds check all of those boxes too)

Most of this shatter being discussed that has “no outlet” is 99% BM going to places that have new markets or no legal markets. I still see a lot of people in FL with shatter. Just my take. Could be wrong, but back in the day when I blasted we got way more orders for shatter than diamonds and sugar.

4 Likes

Do you think ejuice flavorings are more or less dangerous to inhale vs terpenes? Just asking for opinions

If I have the inventory to make it, ima catch that play. Whatever consistency. I’m not worried about running out of extract. If ppl wanna make shatter let them make shatter why hate?

1 Like

They probably made shitty diamonds. 90% of the diamonds on the market are garbage, cloudy, sugar, clumps of HCE
No one cranking sexy clear facets has issues selling them.
If I had 100 kilos of them they would be gone.
The wholesale price for them is depressing on the bulk side but still the most money you can squeeze out of trim.

@Waxplug1 not hating, just stating the fact that lots of money is being left on the table every slab.

2 Likes