Who here has raised pigs?

Piggies are on the train, next stop is castration station

Edit, went smooth!

7 Likes

Going to be lard in 18 hours. Have maybe 3 more of these to do still and another pig to butcher down tomorrow.

6 Likes

Try pork rinds yet? Looks like those would make some good ones. Nice work.

3 Likes

We haven’t! Will have to check out a recipe for them. Thanks for the recommendation

1 Like

It’s happening…

3 Likes

the pieces left after rendering lard. is known as crispens in the south. little season salt and yum. funny as a kid cutting pigs.
was not so fancy. a new razor blade a person to hold piglet’s legs up and blood stop powder. slice sac slice nut so pops out cut off nut do other side cover with blood stop powder. kind of a noisy project. the blood stop powder hurts lol i have used it.

2 Likes

Yeah seeing how some people got the job done made me feel pretty comfortable with the task! Went about as smooth as it could imo!

I will have to try them out.

1 Like

Do you do this like you would a sheep?

1 Like

I haven’t ever done a sheep. I will have to look it up and get back to you lol

Edit: no they use bands, which is the same way we do our goats

1 Like

All the talk would of made me think your a teeth man. Maybe one day…

4 Likes

You fucking monster :sweat_smile: death before castration.

2 Likes

Got that good lard. Wild how much we got off this small little kune. Will get a total count when we are done rendering. Doing second batch now. First two batches are both just from the back fat. One more of these to go and then we also have a small bit for leaf lard too. Tbh even the back-far/standard lard smells better than the leaflard we have been getting, or maybe I’m just biased lol the color is for sure better…

Will be interesting to see how much we get off of a sow or old boer. Never need to buy cooking oil again. Lol

7 Likes

oh some one said teeth. when cutting balls off .
after you clip the 4 long teeth with toenail clippers.
while someone is still holding the piglet for you.
then the pigs do not get large tusk’s. is a good thing to do.

1 Like

In Colorado the South American’s used to castrate sheep with their teeth lol

1 Like

We raised pigs growing up and found them to be personable and friendly like dogs. They come when you call, follow you around, and rub against you affectionately.

6 Likes

That’s been our experience too. Our sow and boar are super chill to hang out with.

3 Likes

Well, quick update. Got deposits on the 4 pigs that we selling as weaners and only have 1 more butcher hog to take a deposit on. Stoked how much interest people have had!

I need to figure out the meat shipping game so I can hook up the f4200 homies….

4 Likes

Me too

1 Like

Berks for the win

2 Likes

Just got our next boar and another gilt locked in. Both from genetics out of the Midwest. Trying to bring in some bloodlines from other areas to differentiate myself from the rest of the people in my area

Planning to breed 3 of them this fall for a spring litter and then do 1 next spring for an end of summer litter.

Got 3 new pastures set up this weekend, feeling pretty good with the space now (at least for this years 6 feeders and the breeding stock ). Going to add another 2 large pastures in before end of summer so that we can expand some more.

Piglets are all growing fast, castrations went smooth and everyone is healed up. Our two keeper gilts are getting thick quick, can’t wait to see how they mature

That’s basically the news in my pig endeavor.

13 Likes