Who here has raised pigs?

1 Like

Our Berkshire boar that we plan on using for breeding, aka sir (or mr., Depending on the day and which one of the kids you ask lol) big pig

2 Likes

Got a free kune a couple months ago, time to eat it.

Going to do it similar to birria, but use the meat dry, and not re introduce it to the sauce/marinade

@Miles-Beyond ballpene hammer did the trick.

8 Likes

Going to shred this and do street tacos. Full front and hind legs

8 Likes

Hammer puts it on they azz. It’s only shocking the first time. It’s how we survived and one just gets used to harvesting an animal you’ve raised for that very purpose in a humane manner.

4 Likes

My old neighbor use to take all his chickens and tie there feet upside down and use hedge pruners to take off the head. No more running around, you needed a butcher’s apron or tyvek for sure though

4 Likes

Wtf lololol, we just use kill cones, it cradles them and only about 1 out of 20 will hop out. But you are correct, makes a hell of a mess, dogs love cleaning up the blood lol

4 Likes

This had the ability to do as many as the 2x4 was long, by the time you got to the end the first was ready to be untied. Definitely messy and yeah the dogs were always waiting and drouling

1 Like

Phone died and I didn’t get actual taco pics, but chopped this up, then had it on white corn tortillas (double of course) with onion, cilantro, red sauce and green sauce. Was super fire, especially for a free* pig.

This was the 1 rear and 1 front leg. Going to smoke the other 2 and the loins with my dad on Wednesday

8 Likes

Gonna run to the store today to get me some street taco supplies. Gonna try birria.

Gonna shred it afterwards and put in tortillas

1 Like
3 Likes

Thanks man.

10 Likes

Looks like they are putting on weight pretty quick :+1:

2 Likes

I wonder if this would keep them from trying to stick there head thru the fence

Our boars. Black one is a Berkshire. Orange and whites are the kune kunes. The kune on the right in the pic is going to be culled soon, his brother ended up being the keeper of the two.

8 Likes

The Berkshire gilt. Plan is to butcher her sister January 15th and then introduce our Berkshire boar into her area of the property, so he can do his job.

8 Likes

We are butchering Our non keeper kune male today. Going to bone him out and make chorizo with all of him. Fucking hyped.

The recipe I’m using:
Ground pork.
Dried chiles. Using guajillo and ancho chiles you could add a spicy dried chile like an arbol chile ) for some heat. If you really like spicy foods add a teaspoon of cayenne chile powder.
salt
Garlic
Smoked paprika
White onion
Apple cider vinegar
Black pepper
Ground cumin
Ground coriander
Ground Clove
Ground cinnamon

Shits going to be so fire.

Should be getting started around 2, Will get some pics.

11 Likes

How do you dispatch?

1 Like

Last one we did with a ballpene hammer. Hit and slit. Plan to do the same on this one. Plan to use a 10mm on the Berkshires.

2 Likes