Who here has raised pigs?

That’s a 32 gallon tote cut down a few inches, for size reference.

1 Like

“Hit and slit”

1 Like

you don’t use achiote for chorizo?

1 Like

I’m sure you could! Just didn’t see it in any of the recipes I looked up. Tbh I didn’t even know what it was until you posted this and made me Google it.

Edit: people are saying you can use either achiote or paprika. Both work is what I’m seeing.

1 Like

just curious if you’ve considered butchering any pigs as they’re about to reach weaning age?

The best pork I’ve ever had has been suckling… Cochinillo in spain, so tender they cut it with plates… ahhh so good…

Anyways, love seeing your work and progress on here. Super cool stuff! I’m pretty jealous of how well you’ll be eating from now on, that’s for sure…

5 Likes

I most def plan to do some suckling pigs next summer!

2 Likes

My dad tried to get me too go old school hog hunting when i was a kid, food at the bottom of a tree hide up in it. His words you stab and slit and run. Hopefully you cut deep enough. 10 should do the job

1 Like

6 Likes

Our grinder. Nothing to crazy but does the job!

6 Likes

I’m going to get the meat grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid when I get one.

3 Likes

How’s the keeper react to his buddy being gone? Any behavior change?

1 Like

Nope! I’m sure if we slaughtered all of them he would be like wtf. But he is happy, hanging with the other 5 that live out with him.

Now if we took all of them away, or were out there being a dick to them, you would most def see the attitude change

3 Likes

Chiliwood

6 Likes

Bauce of sauce

3 Likes

9 Likes

Wtf, No center cut pork chops or bacon?

1 Like

Naw fam. Not with the kunes. Really just plan to use them for lard and sausage. We do plan keep the bacon and different cuts from the Berkshires though.

3 Likes

Great point, Grew up on a pig farm with my uncle. Crazy times!

1 Like

I use a .22. We dispatch all the animals the same. Make an imaginary line from the ear to the opposite eye, same on both sides. Gives you the exact spot to shoot on the X. This is the case for pretty much all animals. They stopped doing the hammer kill in slaughter houses a long time ago….now its either a gun or a bolt. I habent heard of anyone using a hammer in years.

2 Likes

We did a 5 hog roast july 4th. 4 where kunes,not a fan for the roast pit….betkshires and yorkshires are my favorites to raise and process. We ran a livestock farm and butcher shop for years.

13 Likes