Whipping Technique Questions

After its purged. Whip it. Cold pull it and let it settle.

4 Likes

I just use a cake mixer :joy:

2 Likes

I love it!!!

hey @Jakeyg, you got pictures of your process?

I just came on here to ask if a kitchenaide with a dough hook was a viable solution…

1 Like

we used one for 6 months for large batches and homogenizing large batches. the one biggest downfall was the mixer is 3/8" off the bottom of the bowl. Altho friction from whipping the concentrate for 20 minutes generates heat we noticed failed residual solvent testing with the cake mixer over tradishonal methods. Once we went to just using the mixer for final whip or mixing all the batches together we didn’t have that issue. My guess is solvent was getting trapped into the product and not being allowed to off gas because of the viscosity and the amount of concentrate that would sit unwipped at the bottom. Went from having 0 failed rst tests to 4 in one week after getting the mixer. Once we identified the mixer was the variable, we did a side by side and confirmed our guess.

1 Like

so maybe not the dough hook?

https://www.homedepot.com/pep/KitchenAid-White-Edge-Beater-Attachment-for-KitchenAid-Stand-Mixer-KFE5T/203075073

3 Likes

I’d just use the wire mixer on low. You can adjust the height of the bowl to get closer to the hook, the dough hook might even work if you can dial it in

1 Like

we had all 3 attachments. hook, wire and flat paddle. the height can only be raised so high before it maxes out and there will still be room at the bottom where its not close to touching. that being said, when your making 5,000-8,000 gram batches this can help alot getting everything to look the same.

1 Like

I was just about to share this! Lol

Get creative, and anticipate virtually any mixer motor will roast with this much actual use. Why not something 1) cordless, and 2) built for such abuse?
Here’s an action shot of one such appliance paying for itself:

5 Likes

Curious if you were ever able to try this… is there a mechanical whipping process? I was thinking trying the magnetic stirrer hotplate but without heat or minimal heat but I think you would need something heavy duty like a mixer as the consistency changes.

Depending on what your intended end product is and what quantity you are working with, I personally use a KitchenAid stand mixer and a bread hook. Here is one of my treks when I want different consistency. I start by letting everything from the days runs sit at room temp in covered stainless steel mixing bowls on the terps. Let it sit undisturbed overnight so the “crust” that forms keeps the smells contained under the cake. The next morning it goes in my vac oven, no heat and only pump it only long enough for the needle to come off the stop. Then back fill it with nitrogen back to zero psi. I like my solvent to purges out in a nitrogen environment. Maybe I’m a little over cautious, maybe Dean Martin was right :wink:I give it a solid 72 hrs then it’s in the kitchenAid mixer with the bread hook.Start slow until it’s warm and speed up as the color lightens up. Continue until it’s taffy and twisting on itself put it on ptfe sheet and let it sit covered another week. I use my oven for sealed storage racking more than anything. Take your time you want just enough warmth to make the viscosity thin enough to let trapped gas Out but not boil your terps. Open the oven after a day and if you smell it strong… it’s too warm. Find the balance with your material, take notes and make improvements.

1 Like

Have you ever tested your product for residual solvents?

Because with basically no vacuum and no heat it doesn’t sound like you’re getting much out of there.

2 Likes

I understand your point and each person has their own process , so here was my thought but please I am open to new ideas so criticize away. I have compared my vac purged type end product with the + 7 day room temp no vac mechanical whipping Style. Vac purge I get a shatter type clear slab, time after time, low heat long purge, Not a lot of viscosity. Non vac style it’s always batter or cake. Non vac does get some heat but only through friction from the bread hook whip. I wont claim it’s clean of solvent but my nose and my throat approve. I assume there is still someone slapping their forehead at me. Help me understand if it’s got residual solvent still after 7 days and mechanical whipping with the mixer, what is the next step to ensure it gets clean while not loose unnecessary terps?

Assuming the solvents we are talking about is either propane or butane, it would seem logical to me that enough agitation in an environment around 60-70F(well above the boiling points) would allow for the solvent(s) to off gas. The only thing adding more heat and vacuum would do is to increase the rate at which any residual solvents will boil off at, including terpenes.

2 Likes

Boiling points of a heterogeneous mixture of butane/cannabis oil increases as it becomes more thc and less butane. 95% may get released, but that last bit won’t get released without heat/vacuum.

5 Likes

Drill press with a dabber stick in the chuck. Water bath the shatter in Pyrex to soften then use the low speed to whip with drill press. The press allows you to use both hands to hold the bowl cause I’ve thrown a lot of bowls holding it one handed trying a regular drill.

4 Likes

This is why I love the site. Keep an open mind and take time to read. You will figure out what you are looking for. I will concede there is a small portion of hydrocarbon left stuck in suspension. I have taken a cake that was sitting for a week and stuck it in the purge oven over night, pump running and temp set to 91. It turns to clear flat bubble less taffy. It’s not really hard shatter but it’s firm enough to peel off the sheet of ptfe. Im looking for the sweet spot where I get the most butane/ propane out and the most terps in. I can’t always get fresh frozen material. So sometimes you have to polish a turd.

2 Likes

The lowest boiling point terp is a good 40c over butane. Butane will always evaporate first. As long as you don’t leave your ovens unattended it’s not going to lose anymore terps than it sitting out at room temp. My personal philosophy is hot and quick for butane then whip or don’t whip for desired consistency. The agitation is what causes the texture/form of the extract. That can be done at anytime. Getting butane out first should be the priority.

Ps, my ovens usually run at 125f with no flavor or terp loss. Until you’ve distilled and know what true temperatures and vacuum levels are required to boil off some of these things, you’ll never quite understand what temps you can go before you start boiling things off.

4 Likes

just curious, do you have any more info/data on this or are we both just speculating here?

would love to learn more not quite sure where to start on this one though, any info is appreciated.

2 Likes