When it comes to job offers on here

I fucking choked over this!!!

fucking tattoo on the face, and everythingā€¦

On the cultivation side I encounter many applicants with no formal training. They basically know: I buy xyz at the hydro store, mix it and give you good pot. The vast majority of them donā€™t know what a brix refractometer is and canā€™t even begin to comprehend that ipm starts with high brix truly healthy plants that have the resources to defend themselves.

3 Likes

I second this! I used to be into OCā€™ing computers using LN2, and shitā€¦ Anyway, Iā€™ve been an active member on a couple of computer forums (same username), BUT this group of minds and people here is the best Iā€™ve come across!
Thereā€™s just something about WEEED MAAAANNā€¦ Thatā€¦ and savagesā€¦ FUCKING SAVAGES!!! The lot of youā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve never made a resume. But I can make lots of hash. :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve worked in many aspects of the construction industry through the years, and can say as a worker that profit sharing works to increase productivity. Also, a structured and well documented path to advancement through fulfillment of goals and accomplishments is a very strong incentive to be the best worker possible.

As a construction contractor, when hiring a new employee, I would base my offer on what I thought they would be worth after training, according to their interviews and any other information I may have about them. It would always be pretty close to what they could make in a similar position somewhere else. If they turned out to be worth twice as much two weeks into it, they would get it. We pushed hard on projects like a team sport, and everyone took pride in their accomplishments. Being almost ocd on attention to detail, itā€™s hard to find someone who would build to my standards, so it was totally worth it to pay what I thought they were worth, which was usually more than they expected by a good bit.

Back to the worker perspective, 401k matching is a nice offering in addition to profit sharing. Good overtime policy with available overtime is a great way for workers to increase their income. I used to love getting double time on Sundays and time and a half on Saturday and anything over 40. Used to do five twelve hour days, ten on Saturday, and eight on Sunday every chance I got back when I was still a pipefitter. They also offered tool discounts for us, too, which was pretty nice for someone like myself who has to have all the tools.

4 Likes

Seems like a good thread to ask for advice.

As someone who is just graduating college with a degree in biochemistry, with some experience on the analytical side, as well as some basic extraction experience. Whereā€™s a good place in the industry to start? What should my expectations be? Should I go straight to pharma/biotech? I have big dreams but getting experience and financial backing is the starting point.

3 Likes

Bachelors/Masters/PhD?

Further explain your basic extraction experience.

Expect to keep trying till something sticks, and then trying some more to keep that. This industry requires drive and humility.

If you have opportunities that pay well, Iā€™d pursue them and continue your experience by becoming a hobbiest / personal extractions.

You sound able to try for entry level extraction tech with maybe a few bucks extra for your education level.

Analytics labs appreciate experience and may be a good fit. Really up to what you want to do.

Iā€™d honestly hit up cannachemistry because he came from formal education such as you and took the climb.

3 Likes

based on how he worded itā€¦ id say bachelors.

usually people graduating grad school say it that wayā€¦ He would have said ā€œas someone who is just leaving grad schoolā€

Phdā€¦ Id imagine would go much like ā€œim just finishing my phdā€

LOL

id work in pharma/biotech first so you can laugh at the wooks in the cannabis industry once you make it hereā€¦ :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

6 Likes

Iā€™m in agreement. Put your education to use and grow your own side opportunity.

I have a horrible education imho. Tested out of HS, avoided college because of horrible school experiences. My dad has a PhD. I think he did Biotech mostly. Rekindling my relationship with him to ask for some guidance now in my early 20ā€™s. Time to go to college I think.

1 Like

I stopped putting my education on my resume because I got sick and tried of being told I have too much experienceā€¦ Or Iā€™m too qualifiedā€¦ Fucking lame really

6 Likes

Resumes and cover letters should always be adjusted to focus for the opportunity

6 Likes

Itā€™s a bachelors of science degree. BS lol
Bringing experience to this industry from the pharma side is a huge advantage if the goal is to have the highest quality and beneficial products. I do consider that the structure of pharma/biotech is very different from the cannabis/hemp industry in terms of being with a corporation versus a small/medium business. Pharma is also very location dependent, a lot of jobs I have been looking at are in the Sf Bay Area, some of the jobs also expect a bit more specific experience than I currently have.

2 Likes

Plenty of licenses and suppliers in the bay. Can get the best of both worlds except cost of living.

2 Likes

and needles drug addicts tents on the street outside of your 3000 dollar a month one bedroom.

3 Likes

Exxxxactly.
Cracks me up in CA to see how ppl behave, Especially in This industry, but in civilian ones, too.
I donā€™t even think the ā€œprofessional norm discussionā€ can be had out here, but definitely not in this business

2 Likes

Definitely the real truth. Itā€™s a social who you know community vs what your random resume send usually can provide.

Good eye @GrowGirl this is still very relevant. Itā€™s who you know, but more importantly how you can work with them opens up so many pathways to a better future.

2 Likes

i am gonna apply for a local job but its all online as far as dispensaries. I can def show up on time and do as told so thats a recent reference. The real job i want I can email the boss but I think its best to get a job first to show i can be reliable.

youā€™d be better off just holding out for a grow spot

just do a grow log and bring some flower with your resume, boom, portfolio

1 Like