What's wrong with rosin carts?

Why do we not see many of the big Rosin companies making Rosin Carts? It doesn’t make sense if its what i consider the best natural extract out there.

#1 factor: input cost to wholesale pricepoint.

Up front it might look like your just taking a bag, squishing it, and collecting the oil.

Reality is you have to freeze and extract the heads mechanically with either ice water or dry ice. Then you have to cure the heads and pack your rosin bags.

So your taking a ‘generally’ low yielding extraction method, and furthering it with a secondary process with associated loss to handling.

Thirdly: your taking a product (rosin or good IWE) that is better left unadulterated and bastardizing it with a process that degrades the value of the overall concentrate by heating it up to liquify it and cart it.

The cost to make a cart becomes very high, with a slim margin to sell that cart for a price that makes sense from a business standpoint. Long story short, few people have them because they are a harder sale at the store (consumer education), they cost a lot to produce, and they take more effort and time to create. Odds are stacked against a small grower/extractor with this product, and bigger companies with the potential to do it are more geared for production not passion.

6 Likes

That makes sense. I just think that its such a great product and that it would be great for a company to focus on making Rosin Carts. I think the experience is worth paying the price. This is the closest concentrate there is to smoking flower.

1 Like

I guess the question would be, why not just smoke flower if that is the experience you want? IME flower goes much further than a vape cart in the effects category.

Im a big fan of Rosin. I press cbg rosin and decarb it to fill my vape carts. Its awesome. Im about topress anout a qp of cbg kief on a few min. Hahaha Anyway, I prefer to dab rosin, but the carts are still great and convinient if you make them rite. I know a few different ways to decarb it and load. I know the companies that sell rosin carts say they sell very well. Mine are gone as soon as I say Im going to make more. Lol however, getting only 30%-40% returns means your going through material to make it and that means the price goes up for those. Also,you do not have to do any bubble or ice extraction before pressing, but I agree its the best method. I will wash mayerial a few times and stick it in a cryo vac freezer. Then I press it, but ive pressed regular bud/flower, kief, bubble…so…I even take my rosin chips after and throw them in my Tamisium closed loop. Lol I use everything I can. Hahaha

1 Like

Would you be willing to share your decarb methods? I read 150 degrees for 24-48 hours and that did almost nothing. i put it in a sealed mason jar in the oven. Any advice or a point in the right direction would be super helpful.

1 Like
1 Like

I actually don’t do it that way anymore. I’ll seperate the thca from the HT and process separately

2 Likes