Whats this smell?

I’ve been smoking concentrates since about 2009 even blew my own bho and used the old school cooking pot and rubber seal glass lid vac chamber so i’ve got some years and XP. under my belt but i took a break went back to flower for a while (about 3 years no dabs) came back to it to the smell of almost toothpaste or menthol or just minty smelling wax or budder in general from almost every street dealer i had grabbed from now i’ve recently got a rosin press and it works wonders and never once out of the lbs i’ve pressed have i ever came across such a smell why is it so common from the street i just picked this up figured id try the streets again and yep you guessed it there it is again minty no matter what im told the strain is or who it comes from all smells like the same minty shwagg what is this? for it to be such a common “cut” someone must know I’ve literally smelled it for years which is the reason i got the nugsmasher.

1 Like

That looks like nacho cheese for your dab sombrero.

Certain plant additives make the flower all smell the same. Bud Candy from Advanced and Canna Boost are two that come to mind. I don’t know the mechanism, but I know the smell well.

11 Likes

It really does but i cant believe almost every batch I’ve gotten from the street is grown with the same additives for years none of the dispo’s wax/budder/live resin/rosin. Every smell like that nor does my rosin every smell like that from the street flower i get.

Did the container leach, was the flower sprayed with foliar feeds?smell-0-vision is still not beta tested yet…so i am going to have to guess at this one!

3 Likes

To clarify i did not press this this is bho from “Colorado” from a friend of a friend i have no idea what flower it came from aside from “blue dream”

That’s the dab version of the old school bag of oregano. You’re getting screwed bro.

3 Likes

What is it then

No idea. At best it isn’t purged or has the worlds highest terp content. Best guess on appearance is nacho cheeze. Did you taste it op?

1 Like

I suddenly have a few really good ideas for a new dab rig

download ©®™

8 Likes

id just finish that painting with it !

A bunch of artists went coo coo smelling them smells. Put some more handprints on your picnic table with it.

You got me hungry now. That weird plastic cheese is so good! The after stank on my hands and face though…

Edit for some useful info… Get it tested? Thats about the best way to know.

2 Likes

9 Likes

I can smell that picture… it looks like someone made the wax with weed that was left to rot bone dry then crc’d it.

When I’d first smelled an extract like your describing it was something I made with weed that was like 4 years old and was literally bright orange/rust colored. The wax was bright orange and smelled kinda minty but not like menthol, I assumed it was from pesticides and tossed it.

I think that smell must come from some kind of mold.

2 Likes

I honestly have a hunch these prominent smells in extracts is a few things, as I have observed some as well.

So, everyone is CRC-ing now, which means people are taking material that would generally only output crude.

But now, you can make it look appealing, so you can run material that’s older, terps oxidize, and could possibly convert to some more sour, bitter, or just more pungent odors.

I am starting to run across this as well… hadn’t had a problem with it until recent, and I have observed it. @ScoobyDoobie Believe you hit the nail on the head.

There’s a thread on this very subject, even the CRC media could be selectively pulling certain terpenes out. There’s some variables at play.

5 Likes

If it’s the same smell I’m remembering it smells like musty toothpaste, definitely a funky smell and doesn’t seem healthy to smoke

7 Likes

Yeah that’s the smell pretty much to a T like i said i’ve smelled it around for years(i know there is some very common denominator here it being crc’d is what conclusion i’ve come to after reading around on here).more then likely going to stick to making my own flower rosin i’ve been looking for some good ol hash to run through the press.

2 Likes

Sounds like 2+ year old material + CRC = a reliable tek for that musty toothpaste cheese whiz

8 Likes

I doubt this have ever been scrubbed, this stuff is 3 yo a little longer than this website has been a thing.

1 Like

I didn’t see that he said the product was produced 3 years ago. I wonder if any molds can survive in and consume the components of the extract to make that toothpaste smell.

2 Likes