Whats in your toolbox

Hey so I’ve been reading here for about 2 years now but I never really see what other people are using to take assemble disassemble their extraction equipment.

The tools I use the most are.

My 14mm gear wrench for 1/4 jic fittings
15/16 combination wrench for 1/2 jic fittings

Speed wrench with 5/8 socket for 3/8 brass nuts on triclamps.

3/8 drive torque wrench for torquing brass nuts.

Crecent wrench for jic caps and plugs.

A giant universal socket for easy triclamps.

5 Likes

I’m currently using a speed wrench to loosen and tighten brass nuts, and then I use the torque wrench.

I’m wondering if it’s safe to use a pneumatic driver like the one in the picture if I have the air compressor located remotely. I know they use them in paint booths where an explosive environment is possible.

Great topic. Looking forward to the gold nuggets that will be shared by the wrench jockeys.

1 Like

24 Likes

That’s hilarious

1 Like

Heres all the tools I use, except the air drill, still trying to find out if thats OK. I see they make ones that are certified intrinsically safe, for a few hundred bucks.

2 Likes

So I’ve thought about this in a couple labs I work with , I guess my biggest fear would be over tightening of the brass nuts , wear and tear faster must gotta be quicker with the pneumatic but I do understand processing time , so gotta really punch number see if it worth it for your self I guess

2 Likes

I just got one of these for spinning on bottle caps it works well Idk how many other applications it has

1 Like

The ratcheting combination wrenches are the best thing to come out in a while.

11 Likes

I run a mini Ratchet air tool that maxes out at 15-20ft lbs it works great . I saw a cheap 100$ 6 gallon pancake air compressor harbor freight special so I grabbed it and it works great . Only complaint is that it is very loud so I use ear protection when using it . Having air on demand is really useful cleaning as well

2 Likes

I’m not sure I would use anything pneumatic, and only because I would be worried about over tightening and I’m only referencing the brass nuts… Continuing to read now

2 Likes

Exactly!

Great thread guys!

2 Likes

I can see how that would come in handy, at this point I basically just make shatter, and am attempting to make diamonds. But I think I’m gonna end up with arthritis so I would definitely look into something like that if I had to close a lot of containers.

I got the 1/4 inch air ratchet you were talking about that only hits 15 ftlbs.

It’s way louder than I hoped it would be. My air drill is pretty quiet in comparison, especially when I regulate it down to a level where it’s only capable of producing 15 to 20 ft lbs of torque.

I have the same style compressor it will work well for this task. Where did you get a 5/8 1/4dr socket though?

I still plan to use the torque wrench on every nut I tighten

I paid 75 cents each for a bag of 200 nuts. Dissassembly/assembly are definitely the main bottle neck I need to streamline at this point.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna try this out. It’s only 81 dB. I like being able to hear myself think.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466766_200466766?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20>%20Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Accessories%20>%20Air%20Drills&utm_campaign=Klutch&utm_content=171466&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-KTBhBcEiwAr19ig6salc7D2AFGG-9d5d_HMgh6-GCxX91bShcEr7GMNq3fRl67b2YvSBoCQRYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

2 Likes

I feel you , I had a nut get stuck on a bolt on the precision x40 they use steel nuts and having to hack saw 3 bolts away on a high pressure clamp made me for ever respect the torque lol

I use a Milwaukee packout box with drawers, very nice for the money to haul tools around. Top drawer is electrical:

Fluke meter
NC voltage tester
Tic tracer
Assorted tapes and connectors
Spare fuses
Batteries

Next drawer is screwdrivers and pliers:
Wera lasertip screwdrivers and nutdrivers (these are awesome, especially for soft screws)
Linesman’s and needlenose pliers
Box cutter
Knippex channel locks
A rat tail and half round file
Allen wrenches
Tape measure
Label printer

Third drawer is sockets - 1/4" to 1/2" drive, deep and short, plus Allen head, torx, and etorx

Fourth drawer is tube fittings:
A shitload of spare swagelok fittings, ferrules etc plus some assorted MP/HP stuff
Rigid tube cutter
Deburring tool
Stone
Set of punches and cold chisels
A couple standard size drill bits/unibits
Pens, grease pencils, notepad

Next is rachets and drives/extensions/adapters

Last is wrenches: one metric gear wrench set up to 24mm and SAE up to 1". Three spud wrenches (also hugely useful). A ball pein hammer and a set of 12" dial calipers

In the bottom I keep a tube bender, kit of assorted stakons, o ring kit, hard grease, tap grease, antiseize lubricant, drill/impact (I like the small Bosch set for on site work), and a bunch of spare solenoids, relays, relay timers, 24vdc power supplies.

That about does everything I need to service an 80ksqft grow and our extraction/production labs. At the end of the day I probably put the whole kit together for $3-4k which is less than an equivalent size snap on tool box lol

8 Likes

I usually have two toolboxes ready to go - one more oriented for electrical/house work and the other for more heavy duty stuff.

My toolbag I normally have ready with my basics.

Small drill, bits, stud finder, pack of random screws and drywall anchors, hammer, krazy glue (IT’S KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY!), wire, a few ratchet drivers for the normal ratcheting screw bits with a right angle adjustable attchment (i can’t count the amount of times that’s come in handy in like 6 months of owning it), razorknife - things like that.

Big ol toolbox is more for…destruction? Big jobs? Ratcheting wrenches, saws, impact wrench bits (MY IMPACT WRENCH ((not hammer)) IS MY FAVORITE FUCKING TOOL I’VE EVER HAD), hammers (my favorites are a nice fiberglass framing hammer and a huge motherfucking 9lb blacksmith’s hammer), recip. saw is always hanging around the box if i’ve got stuff like that packed up but the space that the big boy takes up (usually always have one big tool in the box), if not that then I’ve normally got my impact hammer handy along with a shit ton of concrete bits because you never seem to realize you need to punch a hole through the wall til` it’s too late. I keep both boxes stocked with various ‘don’t kill me’ things like circuit testers (simple wall plug in type with a probe on the other end is my fav, takes up little space and will save your ass x100000), a multimeter in each.

I just got sick of carrying my giant toolbox everywhere so I made that husky toolbag as sort of my ‘go bag’ which covers maybe 80% of the work i’ll have to do on any given day which is nice but it’s also great to have a more comprehensive option that won’t have me loading old cardboard boxes full of tools into my car.

3 Likes

It can work for lil 5ml jars and stuff I use it for CBD products