What type of tubing should I use for hot condenser tech?

I’ve tried PTFE tubing and viton tubing. Both are rated for ocer 200c but both have failed me in different ways. With the PTFE I have to use chemglass high temp gl 18s and they always start to leak after a while. I have the Beaker and wrench high temp gl 18s but I can’t get them to seal with hard PTFE tubing. So I decided to try viton because some people recommend it… it fits on my high temp gl 18s from beaker and wrench but it melted 2 times in 1 run at 155c (its rated for way over this)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Second time today lol

1 Like

I use viton tubing feoma bio diesel se companies ( not sure if that makes a difference). But becareful with regular hose clamps, they have rough edges on the inside, i use radiator clamps or i just stick my viton right over my glass gl connectors and have never had a problem even up to 190c. But radiator clamps work best if you dont want to just shobe them over the glass. I also dont have my circulation valve open all the way

4 Likes

I feel like it’s the barb cutting the hose, I’m going to try flourosilicone tubing from McMaster car and see if thatll work. This viton is from extractor depot youd think they could get it right

2 Likes

Try the radiator clamps or some call them compression clamps. Ive had a few xlose calls with regular gose clamps when going that hot, unless you deburr them. Run your finger on the inside all the slits have a sbarp edge thats what cause me ro find a better solution. And sticking the viton right over the glass is very snug and havent had a problem in dozens of runs. Since use lab equipment re sells the lanphan maybe he’d send tou some smaller hose that comes with rhe heaters
M

2 Likes

I think I just need smaller sized barb fittings, this hose keeps splitting when I put it on

The auto store usually sells high temp tubing

1 Like

That radiator hose is not rated hot enough. I just got some new tubing myself, I’ll let you know in a bit how it goes

https://www.amazon.com/Flexfab-5526-Silicone-Radiator-Coolant/dp/B075M6XNN7
@Kingofthekush420

5 Likes

Any luck with that hose?

Why not use 1/4 copper pipe with threaded compression fittings?

Beaker has em in stock I’m buying now I’ll be running my first spd using this tek and I’m gonna plumb the heating lines with copper pipe- copper definitely can handle those temps

3 Likes

A little bit of emery cloth should smooth those edges down right?

How are you going to take your SPD apart to clean it if has copper lines?

You take the hose barbs off. 1/4 copper is pretty flexible

90 degree angles on your compression fittings should make popping the copper lines off like super easy

My 2L uses gl14 so I ordered the compression fittings from @Lilibel and I’m just gonna pop em on.
I have zero concerns that this will fail.
You’d have to use 3/8th copper on the gl18 so a little harder to bend but if you have issues with that get some high heat flexible stainless tubing available on BVV and should work out

2 Likes

I’m getting the flourosilicone tubing from McMaster. Its rated to 450f, I shouldnt need anything close to that.

3 Likes

Yeah I do the same as @Concentrated_humbold , I put the viton hose right over the gl 14 barbs. I dont use any clamps. The key is cutting a very straight and perfect line, if there are any indents or wavy ends it will start to split over time.
I made my hoses an extra foot long, and I just cut a half inch off each time to make sure there is good hose being slipped over the barbs

5 Likes

We recommend peroxide-cured silicone tubing

Max Temperature (° F)446

2 Likes

Vac rated Tygon tubing

Yes so far so good up to 180 c

1 Like

I’m using that same tubing and it is definitely the clamps causing problems. Try to find hose barb that are a little too big then hit the tubing with some heat and stretch it over. Using 3/8 tubing on gl25 fittings with no clamps and no leaks

2 Likes

@Apothecary36 Are you using the stainless GL connections or plastic ones?

1 Like

Sorry this is for my wiped film main body. It’s a glass barb

2 Likes