What to pack your dewaxing column width

Also what’s PET?

It’s a food grade plastic. Usually I use a bag made from PET felt. They are used most often in the production of biodiesel. Search for biodiesel filters and you find many options.

The PET is partially good at removing waxes and insolubles from crude oil.

2 Likes

What micron felt bags are you using?

8 micron

1 Like

And you don’t get clogging with this?

compare the surface area on 4" bag vs a 4" filter paper.

5 Likes

Ah so you actually use the whole bag. How do you use this with your dewaxing column? Since the solvent has to sit for a time inside the dewaxing column you can’t have the bag fixed inside of the dewaxing column or a large fraction of the not yet chilled solvent will seep through

1 Like

The ability to “load” a filter and not clog it is largely dependent on the surface area of the filter medium.

A paper filter has a very shallow surface and needs to have a large surface area to give more “load” surface. This is why pleated filters are standard with paper filters of larger size. The pleats add debt to the filter matrix allowing for more “load” before clogging.

The felt filter has a debt to its surface which allows for heavy accumulation of “load” before it will clog.

2 Likes

So are you just cutting up the bag and placing it at the bottom of your dewaxing column or how are you utilizing it?

1 Like

You find a bag with a hard collar that fits your column. I use the 4" bags with collars and they fit perfect around the closures of my columns. I fill from the top and drain from the bottom using a delta P to transfer the liquid into a lower pressure tank.

2 Likes

So you put this in a column below your dewax column and have that drain to yet another lower pressure vessel

1 Like
2 Likes

How high up do you fill the pot scrubbers? How big is your dewaxing chamber (mine is 6x36) Do u clean/reuse the scrubbers? Have you ever used “packing” and if so how does it compare??

1 Like

@Killa12345 I got the 3m stainless pot scrubbers, any tips on cleaning ,pre use? Acetone,iso?
Any conceivable issue with contamination?

I clean everything without a gasket with acetone. Everything with a gasket gets cleaned with 100% anhydrous iso

5 Likes

I thought it was recommended not to go above 70% ISO (30% water) as Buna-N gaskets are only a B rating with 100% ISO? I suppose if wiped dry quickly it may not be a huge difference?

luckily i dont sell anything with buna-n gaskets…

3 Likes

What do you use?

Only fda approved viton gaskets. I know they ain’t rated for the low end of our spectrum but I’ve never cracked one from extreme cold

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply killa, I’m thinking lab grade ss steel wool is better for obvious reasons, I just wonder what could be in a scrubbie? I cleaned it with acetone, then iso, should be ok

1 Like