What the hell is up with WikiJane

Thank you for the explanation and links.

A dedicated server is NOT yours, it’s still the ‘hosting providers’ and even though it might be more secure than a VPS, is not more secure than our own hardware in our own colo cage with our own intrusion protection measures.

The rent to own → colo situation is one I was thinking about, I imagine at these prices (~$100/mo) the RTO is probably more like 3-5 years? Would be a better way to ease into it than paying for it all upfront but at what premium? Do you get hands on after its paid off?

There are a ton of colos here in Hillsboro, OR next to my hometown. I (and maybe other selected members) would be hands. Are these options you mentioned really less expensive than just getting a couple servers and managing them ourselves in the long run?

Explained below
Also, since this is your business, curious how these dont add up.

If you would like to give back and support the forum I propose the following goals which will fund us 2-4 more glorious years. It will be spent something like this:

$2,500 Status Quo ($1,250/yr for 2 years ~current)
$5,000 Database and server upgrade (Current x2, wont quite double capacity since scaling doesnt work that way, for 2 years))
$10,000 Live Streaming server, git, Invest in WikiJane.com articles and design for the ultimate hash wiki (will need a beefy transcoding server, lots of ram and cpu, the $1,200 RTO option would cover this, but I just cut out the middle man and priced a $5,000 server that would work, or figure 3-4 years of the RTO)
$20,000 = We get our very own server in a colocation center with physical security. I will put up “secure” services for users such as @future4200.com email, chat(xmpp), file share, ipfs, alt-networks, etc. Paid dev time for forum development (plugins, themes, etc)
(the server I priced out above, plus 2-4 years of colo costs depending on how much power and bandwidth we end up needing)
$40,000 = “Disaster proof” our setup. If the west coast falls off, a server will still exists on the east.(doubled)

And I honestly think I low balled myself here.

3 Likes

Oh, just the guy who made the website…

1 Like

The RTO is 1 year, you can pick up the server or move it to colo.

Let’s say you buy a $5000 server put it to work, and it has a hard drive or motherboard failure. Who troubleshoots the server to order the part, who installs the part? Normally datacenters charge $200/hr for remote hands and eyes.

I don’t understand the need for Live Streaming and transcoding. Zoom and many others do it so cheap. If you want something branded you could do it. (Secure Web Conferencing, Video Conferencing, Remote Support, Remote Access Servers | R-HUB)

For the @future4200.com emails, file share and what not you could host all of that with cPanel or DirectAdmin.

I have gained a lot from this Forum, it’s a treasure chest. I’d be happy to offer my time upgrading databases or forum software, setting up whatever services or email systems you wanted or helping with security. I know a bunch of developers overseas who turn $5000 projects into $500 projects.

7 Likes

DMd for more info. Thanks! Our goal is still to have our own hardware (no/minimal 3rd party services, tracking, intrusion, meta data gathering, etc) but am looking into that (RTO) as a step between what we have now (VPS) and fully hosted.

4 Likes

Join the glg for more sops

All love groovy🐙

1 Like

@sidco most of the links are trying to show me lemonparty?

https://wikijane.com/draft/breakingdabs_distillation_tek?rev=1620175315

1 Like

I thought I did this but apparantly not, it is now registered user changes only. I will go through and delete/revert those pages.

7 Likes

Wtf dude…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Curiosity killed the cat…
T_T

3 Likes

yeah, been going on for a while. Since I first looked at it. I just thought it was some kind of weird joke and left it alone. It would really be nice if there was some actual information on there, though.

This is an old revision of the document!

LOL! Yeah you can definitely see the “old” part.

Time to go scrub the eyes with some cute goat parkour videos.

4 Likes

4 Likes

I’m just playing. I didn’t watch the video so I don’t know.

1 Like

Normal f4200 mod response

giphy (24)

6 Likes

@sidco maybe take the wikijane down for a bit if you are too busy to scrub it?

3 Likes

I changed my hosts file a long time ago to block shock sites, I wasn’t aware it was visible for everyone else :sweat_smile:

I too use an ad blocker which hid a lot of it from me. All that being said, I did the scrub (including revision history), enabled user only edits and they have to be manually approved. Someone really really likes lemon party, it doesn’t look like a bot either, just a weird dedicated user.

9 Likes

Do u know which user yet??? Maybe give that member a lemon party lover tag???

I’m sure someone can come up with something more poetic.

6 Likes