What’s wrong here

I am trying to recover everclear from an oil/everclear solution but I can’t get a drop and apparently I am missing something.
There is 50 feet of copper coil buried in ice and they system is holding vac at 2500 microns so what have I missed. This is post Büchner funnel filter and intend to recover alcohol and use concentrate for dabbing.
Thank You!

2 Likes

Big flex :muscle:

Crank up the heat. U got a stir bar in there?

5 Likes

Yea it’s at 710 rpm and 52C

And you’re pulling a constant vac or what is that thing? Looks like a hand pump or sumn

1 Like

Constant vac till I stopped approx 15 mins. Never got a drop. The top thingy is just some extra SS tubing I started with so I left it. Kind of like a pre cooler lolol

I would change the vinyl plastic tubing to something like the braided vinyl tubing at hardware store. Holds up better in vac. Id crank up the heat slowly

2 Likes

Sounds good and I thank you. The tubing is just what I had here to start with. Will change it once get final design that works

1 Like

You’re not under a super deep vac so your boiling point will be higher than people using a rotary evaporator

3 Likes

Is the vinyl tubing kinked here?

No kink. Just bad camera angle

1 Like

Turn up the heat, and if you haven’t already add some water and salt to your ice to give it more contact surface and a colder overall temp!

You will see the solution start to bubble when its working.

A good rule is you either need more heat or a deeper vacuum to get this moving.

8 Likes

what the heck have you build here? What kind of fucking frankenstein is this do you have a tutorial i want one

1 Like

Maybe alcohol vapor is being condensed on the inside of the mason jar. Try wrapping the Mason jar in aluminum foil, even if that isn’t your problem wrapping the Mason jar will greatly speed up rate of evaporation by trapping the radiant heat which will help to maintain the set temperature.

Since you have a flat hotplate it’d probably be best for you to make a tipi that covers the heating surface on the hotplate.

Also, I don’t know if that condenser is sitting in just ice or if its sitting in ice water. Adding a liquid to the ice will dramatically increase rate of heat transfer versus the coil touching the ice cubes.

4 Likes

Did you see any etoh condensing in the vinyl tubing where @Curious_Roberto asked about a possible kink?

2 Likes

What in the open blast is going on here.

I like it. Work with what you have.

Just go a little extra hot and hurty and you’ll be alright

7 Likes

So, Unlike everyone one else, who say turn the heat up, my hypothesis is that you’re sucking too hard for that condenser of yours.

at 2500microns (2.5mmHg) this Vapor Pressure Calculation by Antoine Equation (Ethanol) puts the bp of ethanol at around -15C

How much ethanol was in the boiler to start?

9 Likes

Yeah I was gonna say 2500 microns is a lot for ethanol, your pump might just be chugging vapor lol

3 Likes

Oh no, did his pump drink all his alcohol?

Didn’t even consider that regular ice probably wouldn’t be sufficient to condense ethanol vapor thats speeding thru the system while under the influence of a vacuum.

Vacuum has the effect of reducing the boiling point of a solvent but that also includes a proportional reduction in the temperature required to condense that same solvent in that same system.

1 Like

I tried making a shot o whiskey out of a bottle of Budweiser on a similar set up. The clogged with ice and I ended up spraying beer all over my kitchen. I haven’t been allowed to play with science near the house every since.

Edit. BE CAREFUL.

4 Likes

:face_vomiting::nauseated_face::confounded:… didn’t get a chance to taste it?