What qualifies somebody as a Psychedelic/mushroom expert/leader?

The Cannadelic convention in Miami and the California Physcadelic conference have left me wondering what makes you an expert on Physcadelics? Is it because you ate an 1/8th that one time and tripped really hard? is it because you have seen a positive effect in using physcedilcs? Does it have to do with ability to grow or extraction? Or Because your a “legacy” dealer? Does cannabis have anything todo with it?

Basically after going to try and find true experts in the industry I found mostly space cadets and found people who with little to absolutely no knowledge or even experience with physcdelics being put on panels and touted as experts when they have no idea what they are doing or talking about
Reggie from Okland Hyphae was a shining example of what I expected from these individuals on top of his game knowledgeable and life committed to the cause.

What do you think makes a physcedilcs expert?

19 Likes

I ate lsd for a good 10 years of my life and there was a span there where I tripping 5-6 days a week for years straight.

I’ve had bibles of paper and gallons of liquid in my hand at one time and I consider myself a novice tripper at best. Just recently got back into mushrooms after 18 years and I’m clueless.

I have enjoyed getting back into the groove in my mid forties. I think tooo many broke people trying to get in on the wave with all these conferences

17 Likes

Seek out mycologists outside they psycadelic “scene” some locals to me are north spore. They have the info you want, without the looped out bro shit.

20 Likes

If you are searching on a scientific opinions then you should definitely make M.A.P.S (multidisciplinary association for psychedelic studies) one of your main sources.

8 Likes

Psilocybin is water soluble also, extraction is not rocket science and isolation is also pretty easy, and dosent take alot of trial and error, I’m sure you can do.

2 Likes

Well it’s something I have read about for a couple decades, grown and made them in the past, spent a decade and a half in prison for it,
I knew a lot of the information when I was 21 before I went in the internet(2009 was the first time I was on line)
I did Grateful Dead tour.
I had conversations with people who made your LSD in the 90s if you did it, and possibly the mdma back then. I had conversations with people who knew what they were talking about because, even though their was some misinformation, a lot of the people who I conversed with were the people who knew what was what
I’ve tried shitloads of substances, given away tons of substances. I’ve read PiHKAL tihkal and several other books by amazing authors…

A lot of people are famous now because they wrote books, when not a lot of people did, and there is a group of ultra rich people and authors and scammers who made their name…and it’s a club where they always bring up the other dude
(I was invited to a conference in Oakland but had to promise not to say anything to John halpern who was a rat who got the muzzle silo busted)
Yet I digress
I’m just a student, not a master

9 Likes

Then let’s see you do it!

2 Likes

I’ll write you an sop and demo it for you, as long as you live in whatever state just legalized…

5 Likes

…and I’ll test it, then test it two weeks from then, and see if it’s so easy!

That’s been about what we’ve seen with most extracts. We’ve conducted maybe 100 (individual product) tests and maybe 4 were stable over two weeks…

It’s harder than many think without a ridiculous amount of testing.

8 Likes

Live where they do and consume them daily. For years. Then you will be an expert…on that one.

1 Like

Good thread, Bill. Moreso than cannabis, there’s a shamanic quality to the space that makes room for people with experiences with the medicine but not necessarily expertise on cultivation and production.

I’m focusing on the people doing the work. I love what Cassandra is doing with her Cognitive Function line of products. Hyphae Labs’ Ian Bollinger is doing great work around testing and characterizing strains. I’m watching all the substrate companies and meeting an eye on the big sterilizer space as well. There are so many good mycologists like Bear from She Grows Fungi. Our own @Psilisophical has been extracting functional mushrooms and formulating great products for years now.

And those are just fungus people. I’m really interested in ketamine assisted therapy and just did an episode about it. Fascinating!! There’s so much!

6 Likes

There is no legalization, only decriminalization. This isn’t legal anywhere in the US.

Legalized countries are really interesting. Check out the Maldives. It’s all legal and you’re able to see all inclusive Sandals type reports with psychedelics on the menu.

Edit: Keep reading, not the Maldives . . . Cat needs constant fact checking.

4 Likes

I was under the impression Oregon legalized it. The Maldives is a Muslim country and as far as I know almost everything is illegal there including alcohol, but if I’m wrong please point me in the right direction.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/04/oregon-becomes-first-state-to-legalize-magic-mushrooms-as-more-states-ease-drug-laws.html&ved=2ahUKEwjQ5MvhiK33AhUXkWoFHUf4DfYQtwJ6BAgTEAE&usg=AOvVaw3NtRezDGZrA29ZMRqZ7-6l

I love a good fact checker. Still federally illegal in Oregon and the criminal consequences went way up for those outside the regulated system. I really thought I was right about the Maldives. Makes me wonder what they’re doing with all the equipment I sold those guys… Thanks for keeping me on track :blush:

2 Likes

If you are selling to the maldives, if I were you I would make sure to check really carefully what your legal status over there is before planning any vacation over there. As far as on the federal level… Technically a lot of the conversations we are having here on this form are illegal (including but not limited to- Unlawful use of communication facility. Conspiracy). And so we must discern what is likely to get us in trouble and try to avoid it.

3 Likes

All good advice.

There’s a special place in Oaxaca Mexico where shrooms are legal. Forgot the name of the city but they specialize in mushrooms and all the locals consume them even youth. I’m sure the elders there are experts since they’ve been around the shrooms for decades. Also, no one’s allowed to take or consume anything out of that region, it’s only legal there.

Edit: the city is called San jóse Del Pacifico.

3 Likes

I was invited to learn under a shaman in Mexico by the lady that ran the animal rescue I worked at in San diego.

3 Likes

I try to find experts that know how to spell psychedelics

beyond that, beats me.

I’ve had to explain tryptamine tolerance to panelists before.

recently went to the California psychedelic conference. most of my networking was not with panelists, but notable people that attended but didn’t really get invited.

13 Likes

You’re one of those folks on my list, doing the work.

How was the show? I was a little surprised about some of the panelists. I’m with you about the big dogs who are quietly working. Those are the ones to watch.

2 Likes