What is the CRITICAL step in cloning?

Yes, I always 5.7 at 6 they tend to yellow and wilt more at the start.

2 Likes

When you say clonex, what product is that? do you use the gel stuff in water?

You don’t know what clonex is?

It’s good stuff!

Oh yea I’ve seen that bottle before at a grower friend of mine’s place. I was looking into different rooting methods that people use and I was that rooting powder is another compound people use.

I’ve been also toying with the idea of using something a little more natural that that. That same friend of mine stumbled across a company here in VT that makes a microbial solution or something, that is supposed to improve over all plant health and helps with rooting as well.

BTW thank you all for the help! I really appreciate it. I’m new to a lot of this more precision growing indoors and I know there could be a lot of ways to answer this question but every answer has given mw something to think and read about!

2 Likes

Except you don’t need domes at all.

I clone open in the same environment the mother was in, generally 83/75. they are usually praying by day 3 and continue to grow.

Can’t really say anything about a dome is critical, some may need it if their environment isn’t right.

A healthy mother IS the most critical thing.

1 Like

IBA was considered a synthetic auxin when I was first using it. current thinking is that it is converted to IAA in-vivo…pre or post translocation I don’t know.

IBA is likely to be converted to IAA in a process similar to fatty acid β-oxidation. Many plants convert IBA into IAA (reviewed in Epstein and Ludwig-Müller, 1993), including Arabidopsis (Strader et al., 2010), hazelnut (Kreiser et al., 2016), and elm (Kreiser et al., 2016). In Arabidopsis, this process is peroxisome dependent (Strader et al., 2010), and multiple mutants defective in peroxisome biogenesis and peroxisomal enzymes have been identified for IBA resistance while retaining sensitivity to the active auxin IAA
Roles for IBA-derived auxin in plant development | Journal of Experimental Botany | Oxford Academic

which was news to me…

while Willow does make salicylic acid, it is the IBA it also makes that is reprogramming the cells to make roots.

Young willow twigs contain both salicylic acid, which serves as an antifungal , and indolebutyric acid, a hormone which encourages rooting. Commercial rooting hormone contains Indole-3-butyric acid, a concentrated synthetic version of this naturally occurring rooting hormone, as well as a chemical fungicide.
Homemade Rooting Hormone Made from Willow for Gardening Success

3 Likes

What is your RH in clone space? When I do bubble cloning I never need a dome, but need the extra humidity a dome affords when using medium in a tray.

single use tools

Unless you like plant aids like pickle

83 F and 75 RH, only the light level is lowered. Open trays in wool plugs.

1 Like

Not the gel, they have a cloning solution to be used as the nutrients
This

I personally only use hormex as the rooting solution because it always works, buy a new bottle every other round or I start seeing failures.

1 Like

I have switched completely to using the mammoth cloning cubes, and pre wetting with 3.0ec Athena, then same cloning method, I use a dome for 7-10 days
Slowly opening the vents every other day.

1 Like

I’ve never used this. Also have low success rates although I’ve only cloned a tray once.

I mostercropped 10 cuts and got 3 to root recently.

Is this solution the same thing as the gel or more comparable to like rapid start from gh?

Do you run Athena all the way through

This is it

Athena all the way!

1 Like

That’s way cheaper then clonex lol
Nice.

For the solution that you use with the nutes. Do you follow the bottles instructions?

I’m going to try Athena when I run out next time
(Only on grow 2) using gh trio now with a couple other additional things

The clonex in a cloner? 25ml per gal seems to be the ticket

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll scoop some before I take cuts next.

1 Like

No problem, got lots of success stories building up using these methods

1 Like

Those mammoth cloning cubes look nice. I’m assuming it’s better then rockwool if you use them exclusively. Care to explain why it’s better. Just higher success?

1 Like