What is the CRITICAL step in cloning?

Best bang for buck on rooting powder

5 Likes

Thank you!!! How much do you use?

I think rooting hormone is so cool! I got a chance to take a basic plant physiology class and found the whole IAA/IBA hormone system really fascinating.

have you ever heard or seen organic alternative that use microbes?

Not much. I pour a decent amount into a container deep enough so I can get up to an half inch to an inch or so of the stem. I’ve found that clones don’t typically sprout right at the bottom, typically it will pop out at a node bear the bottom.

Im lazy and will leave the powder out if I haven’t used it all and will come back and use it whenever I need it. As cheap as powder is I should probably replace it, but I haven’t noticed any detrimental effects if I use it in a week or 2.

Also haven’t heard or seen organic alternative that could use microbes, not that I have looked

1 Like

Azos and water slurry works too. I’ve done that and in to clone machine with 90%+ Success.
I thought for a while ca was going to test for rooting hormones in case it made it to flower. I am sure I was wrong on that.

That’s a bad idea, good way to spread the clap, get rooting gel and use a pipette to put a drop on each plug then there’s zero cross contamination from dipping the stem in the same container and also zero waste.

6 Likes

slice is brand name of the ceramic razor blades.
about any powder i used to use rootone but is not
made anymore. best of luck

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but there are recipes with willow tree twigs, boil or steep in water to extract the salicylic acid and make a rooting hormone.

2 Likes

Any reason you don’t just use a turbo kloner or something similar? I take absolutely no environmental controls on my clones, and don’t use a dome, and have no issues.

For the simple reason of not spreading viruses and viroids.

1 Like

They eventually grow slime

2 Likes

Wow. How long does that take? I’ve had mine running continuously for 3 years. I cycle bleach between clone runs. So far no issues.

Edit: I also fully disassembled the pump and scrub everything with bleach water and a nylon brush.

1 Like

There you go you got it all figured out

2 Likes

Dip your fiskars in 99% isopropyl between every plant or even every cut and wipe off before next cut. Use razor blade and slice bottom of petiole in a cross (2 cuts) about 1/8th inch deep (creates more rooting area) soak rockwool cubes in good water with hygrozyme and great white myco in it. Dip cut in clonex or equivalent rooting agent gel that is more natural/organic, put in rockwool cube. Keep in dome trays and mist 3 times a day for first 3 days, then once a day and you’ll have amazing roots within 7-10 days with lots of side hairs on the roots :facepunch:

1 Like

Most important is the SOP.
But primarily new rooting solution (hormex)
Scalpels, and either 5.7 ph water with 25ml/gal clonex.

Or 3.0 ec athena flower mixture as a pre wet, then no water for 7-10 days, using the mammoth p cloning cubes that are not just a sponge but have coco in them also.

Either method I get consistent 98% success.

Edit: alcohol doesn’t kill stuff like chlorine does, especially that nasty hop latent viriod.

4 Likes

I love that method; it’s a brilliant idea :bulb:. But at scale, it would take too long, and I worry about the uneven coating of the clone stem base (as well as wooks getting bored and moving too fast with the pipette). I agree 100% that with the prevalence of HLVd and other viruses, and viroids, dipping is not an option.

Thankfully, foliar application of IBA (with a high-quality surfactant) has a similar effect to dipping/gels. IIRC the IBA is translocated and also induces auxin production inside the plant. I spray moms with IBA two days before I take cuttings to load them up, then I spray with IBA after I stick them on day 1, day 3, and day 6.

Like @cryo13 wrote, 10% bleach (or better yet, make an equivalent solution with sodium hypochlorite) for 30-60seconds is the best option for disinfecting between plants. But if you use iso, ensure it’s 70% and not 95% or 99% because the high concentrations aren’t nearly as effective disinfectants as the 70%.

1 Like

Right on, how is iso cut with more water a better disinfectant? I’m sure there’s some science to that but I haven’t read about i

2 Likes

From memory, the water allows iso to pass the cell wall and membrane more efficiently to enter the cells and kill the microorganisms. With reduced water (higher concentration), the membrane closes down, and increased protein coagulation occurs, so it’s harder for the iso to enter cells. And evaporation rate also plays a part in some cases by reducing contact time, like during surface application (wiping a tabletop with a cloth mointed with iso).

4 Likes

I agreed! The first and most critical step is to have a healthy to take a clone from. Mothers should be healthy and sturdy, as their genetics will pass on to the clones—if you have a sickly mother plant, its clones will also be sickly.

Out of the 10 cuts I took (monster cropped, like 6 weeks into flower) 3 rooted. So that’s chill

I have a white truffle plant that it like a week away from harvest that is stanky and is going to yeild more then the other white truffles so I’m going to try and get a cut off her. Hopefully it roots.

1 Like

5.7 ph for clones
I’ve been doin 6.0 I’ll try 5.7

1 Like