What is the best way to extract and crystalize psilocybe from mushrooms?

Sounds like a good idea. If your water was acidic during your mushroom boil and “extraction”, would that help, too?

1 Like

Looking at other botanical extractions I’d think it would help

4 Likes

That would dephosphorylate the psilocybin to psilocin, which is a good thing because psilocybin isn’t as soluble in non polar solvents as psilocin is.

:point_down:This is from this :point_right:Here

This is still only going to produce a crude extract. The compounds that were coextracted are going to stop your psilocin from crystallizing. Sugars present in the aqueous extract are going to hinder dephosphylation so you probably shouldn’t boil your mushrooms in the acetic acid solution because you would be extracting any sugars present with that method. You would be better off extracting at room temp and then heating the solution after filtration of the solids. The reason for heating the solution is to dephosphorylate the psilocybin, not to increase extraction efficiency.

To remove anything that was co extracted when using acetic acid as your extraction solvent, you want to partition with diethyl ether after dephosphoylation.

Evaporation of the aqeuous extract should be done cold and under vacuum. The residue left behind will be reasonably pure and can be directly crystallized from a solution of 1:3 mixture of chloroform:n-heptane.

10.1097/FTD.0b013e31828741a5

:point_up:This paper is probably the most comprehensive on the subject but outlines a different procedure than the one I described.

10.1021/np50015a023

This paper describes effective chromatographic techniques and solvent systems for fractionating psilocin and psilocybin from crude methanol extracts.

14 Likes

I’ve also read that steam treating fresh mushrooms denatures the enzymes responsible for catalyzing the oxidation of psilocin into that blue compound that dried psilocybe mushrooms are typically identified by. Apparently this procedure helps a lot with maintaining the potency of your shrooms over a longe period of time.

I wonder if 150 psi at ambient temp would be able to have the same effect on the enzymes without having to subject the actives to the heat of steam. @cyclopath what says the master?

3 Likes

Pressure alone probably won’t denature anything to a significant extent. Most enzymes will denature at 65C.

It was only by targeting the DNA polymerases of critters growing in near boiling water that got us an enzyme we could perform PCR with.

I would not expect fungi to be running particularly thermostable enzymology, but I’ve learned never to rule out “non-conventional” solutions with nature, because shit happens, and it if just happens to work, all of a sudden you’ve got descendants doing weird shit too…

7 Likes

I know Kilindi lyi did massive doses. >35grs dried. That makes a Heroic dose look infantile. Do you say you’re taking 55 grams dried? What is the point and how long until they’re out of your system? What strain are they? B+, Hawaiian, Alcabenzi, Z strain? Kilindi was genuinely consumed with the psychedelic experience, states of consciousness, and that kind of stuff. But I never could get behind the idea. First place, I would think I would get sick as hell before started to explore anything. Second place, why not get some good LSD, or DMT. Not the shit you get on the street, but from a reputable chemist. They’re around. Shit 55 grams though. I’d pay to see that.
The following is a story of the largest dose ever given in a study by the FDA, 3 years ago however:

7 Likes

59 “mg”… of pure psilocybin, equivalent to 10g dried. Which is still a mega dose to be sure. I once took 7g powdered all at once and I def ended by finally accepting my own death and I quit fighting the trip and just let it take me. Last thing I remember was floating in a bubble in space, watching galactic events and other buddhas in bubbles before coming to and weeping with joy that i was alive.

The largest dose that I know of was 28g dried over 2 hours. I cant really go into the details as I wasnt there, but aside from a trip to hell, there were worrying physical side effects and hints of real toxicity. My friend says he will never repeat. I wont even repeat 7 unless its spread out over several hours…

1 Like

Now you’re talking :wink: but there are better ways of dephosphorylation that require no heat/acid.

3 Likes

I’m sure there are, but using acetic acid as your extraction solvent and then simply heating to dephosphorylate is convenient.

There’s definitely a better solution out there, I just don’t know of any others lol

6 Likes

if you’re gonna go through all that trouble, why not just convert 4-AcO-DMT?

1 Like

Exercise for your brain.

Why not just let my body convert the 4 aco dmt lol

3 Likes

What you mean buy it? Wheres the fun in that…

1 Like

boof it.

1 Like

I know personally that psilocin can be sublimated, maybe it can be smoked too?

2 Likes

A litlle later i come but…What can you tell us aboute the lyophilized mush. Is the effect similar to fresh?

Very very similar.

Wasn’t using analytical balances or bothering much with measuring %water weight, so that could be out by 10-20%, but I don’t think so (had access to the right tools, I might have used them once to get that number. It’s been a looong time)

I don’t have anything I’d consider shelf life data beyond 6months. Although I’m reasonably sure I’ve used “eye of newt” that was sitting on the shelf for 24 or so months.

Thanks for the reply, good to know that, i want to try this type of freez dry in Pans cyans, with a inert gas and a cabinet make powder, fill gelcaps for long storage, and for make more efficient extractions of psilocin too.

1 Like

I was gonna do an 8th my first time when I was 16 but my brother told me he wished he’d done a quarter his first time and told me I should do a quarter my first time.

So I did.

I ended up peeing myself, rolled around in dog poop, went to the bathroom and kept pissing myself after I left, I laughed at the table of fireworks on my table in my room at the time because it was the day before the forth of July and they were all colorful and extravagant looking.

I laughed so hard at adult swim and was trying to hug a living room wall yelling, where’s wall state when you need them(cause I was thinking of the all state commercial).

I remember at the end of the trip I was hanging off the living room couch and my brother came downstairs to grab a slice of pizza and I looked at him and felt like I had truly made it through something, like I had endured something and so I looked at him and said hey dude, I made it.

And I knew he felt what I was saying and he smiled this smile and went nice man. Like he was proud I made it.

It was great. I felt so happy for about a year afterwards. I’ll never forget that.

8 Likes

How are your strips coming along?

How are the strips coming along?