What is the best way to extract and crystalize psilocybe from mushrooms?

Damn you were on a wild ride

2 Likes

the spice of life!!!

1 Like

Hey, made an account to comment on this. Great chat through crude extraction methods, but no ones touched on crystallization yet! And no ones really touched on the amount of sugar protein fat and urea in mushrooms.

Yes, methanol is the best way to extract crude psilocybin and psilocin while leaving behind the majority of plant matter, but just like san pedro cactus you will be left with a rather fatty ball of resin. Methanol resins are most easily carried out with a simple french press (cleaned of coffee oils) Making a tea until the liquid retains little color, and the methanol tea evaporated resulting in resin.

Recrystallizating this is a whole can of worms, as psylocibin is an annoying charged comppund that will carry proteins wherever it goes, and youre maybe better off recrystallizing the psilocin itself.

Do an a/b extraction with polar nonpolar layers, and pull the psilocin. This gets rid of other alkaloids and also the fats

Then consult psilocins solubility charts, and try to see of the resulting goo will forcibly dissolve into a solvent that it is typically INSOLUBLE or VERY SLIGHTLY SOLUBLE in provided some heat to encourage the dissolving. If it does, youve found your solvent system. Then, cool that solution slowly, and psilocin should crash out, as far as i know! If it doesnt, heat and evap some solvent and try cooling again. Works for other tryptamines and amines!

10 Likes

Water? Like out of the toilet?

11 Likes

It’s known that these crystals are sugars. The goo has the good and some goo ends up in the crystal structure, which is why they are mildly psychoactive.

I wont say much but I will say using any alcohols to extract is misguided. The differences in solubility of psilocin and psilocybin in any of the alcohols are vastly different. You want something that will pull all the alkaloids. Work up from there.

3 Likes

This is false. Albert Hoffman purified psilocybin freebase to a blue crystal using chromatography. ( Hofmann et al ., 1959) I believe the paper is in german however.

Psilocin fb surprisingly can crystallize as well, reportedly as a brown crystal. Then there also salts of tartrate/fumarate that will crystallize.

5 Likes

aerosolized psilocin is a very interesting concept.

1 Like

This was about on oz extracted from a lb of Panaeolus cyanescens via LLE

made them into 250mg CHURCH BARS

My wooks still beg me to make these again

22 Likes

Freeze precipitation from DCM is a good route for crystallization once you’ve got your initial extract. Precipitation from water works too but causes degradation due to how hot the water needs to get.

3 Likes

This is the extract we are looking at on top of the coffee filter? Interesting consistency. What would you say the 250mg is equal to dosage wise of cubensis biomass?

I am very familiar with Pan cyans as I used to steal my mom’s car in high school to go picking at 5 am in hawaii, but I never dried them. I would literally eat them out of the cow shit, bugs and all. lol

7 Likes

Its an oz of extract pulled from a lb of shrooms.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3183172A/en

This patent also says that a crude mixture can be run through a column of cellulose powder to elute psilocin and psilocybin as separate fractions.

Also details the reagent used to test the fractions for active substance.

I’ve also read that sublimation is possible with psilocin.

10 Likes

That’s too hilarious

1 Like

Yep that’s the final extract, this batch I evaporated to much and it crystallized as I scraped it, so I got a little creative lol, as far as strength goes, one bar(250mg) was equivalent to my hero dose(7g dried), but had a cleaner body load(almost numb instead of heavy)and very euphoric(close to MDA) and unusual heavy visuals (I was talking to carpet smurfs lol) @MyThirdEye_1 that sounds exactly like me when I went to visit my grandparents farm

8 Likes

Anyone Run TLC on the extracts? I found 1-2 teks, probably just going to experiment and see what happens.

1 Like

What about making a tea with the mushrooms, filter out the physical matter (can’t say plant really), then lle to move the psilocybin to the hydrocarbon then try to X?

6 Likes

getting closer :wink:

5 Likes

So a bit off topic, but one question I’ve had running through my mind for years…

Why are are some mushrooms/strains more likely to induce DMTesque Hyperspace types experiences vs the classical alice and wonderland experience (growing, shrinking, giggling etc). More bluntly put, some mushrooms are just more DMT like than others.

Is it a result of;
Set/setting?
Personal biochemistry?
Presence of minor alkaloids (ie norpsilocin baeocystin, norbaeocystin, aeruginascin)?

Just found out these mushrooms can also produce MAOis such as harmine/harmaline as well… (Simultaneous production of psilocybin and a cocktail of b-carbokine monoamine oxidase inhibitors in “magic mushrooms” Blei at al)

Anyone have any theories?

5 Likes

Ive always thought it was the differing types and amounts of tryptamines and MAO inhibitors contained in the different species of mushrooms that’s responsible for the huge variation in effect.

2 Likes

Psilocybin and psilocin are amphoteric substances, a simple LLE will not suffice for making crystals but will still make a potent extract.

6 Likes