What is the best way to extract and crystalize psilocybe from mushrooms?

Your goin to have better success with polar solvents. Paul staments has mentioned a blue tincture using water recently, but for Extraction methanol / MeOH would be useful, otherwise the Iso series of solvents

Ethanol actually works better in practice then methanol for extraction. While psilocybin is technically more soluble in methanol, ethanol seems to penetrate the tissue better for whatever reason

Also you will crash crystals with an ethanol extraction but it’s unclear whether these are actually psilocybin or just some kind of salt or organic acid

14 Likes

Psilocybin is optimally extracted with 75% methanol( saturated with potassium nitrate) with a 10min exposure time.(1)

Psilocin is optimally extracted in 75% water/ethanol for 160min exposure time.(1)

1. R. Kysilka, M. Wurst, ‘A novel extraction procedure for Psilocybin and Psilocin determination in mushroom samples’. Planta med, 1990.

26 Likes

Just soak a few ounces in methanol, filter through Buchner and then evaporate methanol.

Not crystals but left with a really concentrated goo that’s very potent

6 Likes

That’s a lot of work vs just eating them.

19 Likes

Mortar & Pestle and capsules work just fine.

7 Likes

I just weighed them out and chewed them up last time. Before that we would wash the cow sheet off and down them fresh.

4 Likes

I don’t get the desire to extract mushrooms really either, unless someone is planning on taking massive doses

3 Likes

Have you tired?

When extracted, only need to eat this size of a grain of rice, which is great, since the smell of raw usuall make me gag.

Not to metion, that rollercoaster feeling is non-existent.

So, for me the extract is the way to go.

12 Likes

psilocin nor psilocybes can be crystalline. what you see from “crystal of the gods” are unreacted sugars. the real magic is in the black goop. goodluck

12 Likes

XD I just don’t see foiled vials of shrooms in the mini fridge for this…

also this,
Psilocin is subject to oxidation in air, so the drying process should be under vacuum and not too high temperature.

Both compounds have hydroxyl groups, so water and alcohol are the best candidates. The problem for extraction is the woody nature of the tissue, which is also what causes gastric discomfort when eating them. Mild boiling of 70% ethanol with a touch of acetic acid (vinegar) has been recommended in the past to aid separation.
The best material for extraction would be finely ground/chopped, and probably fresh or spongy, Freeze/thaw cycle the freshies to cut open all the cells with sharp ice crystals.
They turn to black mush after a few cycles, but all the cells will be lysed for easier extraction.
(Preferably in vacuum bags to keep air out.)

7 Likes

Anyone have the best method for long term storage on these? I currently have them in a Mason jar in darkness and between 73*-80* basement.

Im able to vac seal if needed.

2 Likes

Vac seal gets my vote, @Demontrich
Anecdotally, swim had vac sealed bags stored in fridge for two years+ and still active, degradation is nominal.
Pretty sure the same culprits attack most things; oxygen, light, heat. Eliminate as many as possible for long term storage.
Pulverized and suspended in honey and stored in freezer has been said to preserve well if you dont mind the additional sugar.

8 Likes

Vac seal and store in the freezer.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be a decent job for a soxhlet then?

2 Likes

https://erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_chemistry2.shtml

1 Like

Someone make mushroom concentrate that can be dabbed. Then I’m in.

2 Likes

You extract mushrooms sometimes to provide a better experience: It comes up faster, is often more predictable, and you likely won’t have the stomach issues / bathroom visits. I first heard of basic alcohol extractions that resembled Green Dragon (Mushrooms + alcohol + heat + evaporation to desired dose).

I’ve also seen a couple bubblebag extractions: 1/4 dry mushrooms run in a portable washing machine with ice inside a work bag just like you do cannabis. It spits out a tootsie roll. A half-pea size will often be too much for novices.

I’m wondering if you mixed in some Ethanol (grain alcohol) to get the 75% water / Etoh mixture would aid in an even more potent extraction using the bubblebags method.

I also think it’s still fair to say the Crystals of the Gods extraction is still effective, tried and true.

Edit: I see people wanting to dab mushrooms. The temp kills any actives. Under your tongue with a tincture is still one of the fastest at 20-30 mins.

11 Likes

working on it

(if anyone wants to collaborate hmu🤙)

1 Like