What GL high temp hose connections are you guys using

I’m currently using the chemglass high temp gl hose connections from lab society on my hot condenser at 155°c and up they start melting quite often. I’ve read that it’s just something people are dealing with and replacing but are there others that you guys are using for high temps?

3 Likes

I thought I was the only twit that melted those things more than once :wink:

3 Likes

I seen beaker and wrench are selling stainless gl14 connectors for you guys running hot condenser tech.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpQAEP_h8Nz/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11ng3kqpwh71f

4 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout- we put the stainless options on there after a lot of asks. We never originally intended on selling them because they are expensive to produce in the volume we’re currently at.

However, we will continue to have them on the shop and we are doing GL-18 soon too!

5 Likes

still got the plastic cap though, it would be nice if they had a pfa cap.

1 Like

@Soxhlet Any better options these days?

maybe something like this is the ideal? trying to figure out what i need for my condenser., those Bola fittings seems cheap compared to beaker wrench SS fitting, or Xtractdepot.

• please point me in best direction.

Xtractordepot also have this type.

Buy these they go over 200c

Anything else will melt

4 Likes

I go right over the glass threads, every high temp connector ive gotten melted or failed quickly

2 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 Thanks, ill possible have to bite the bullet then and buy those (100$ shipping to my country) so would be a pair of 200$ fittings on my end and hoped for another option mainstream to lab supply sites.

could get the PFA ones in europe wich also should be rated at 200C and the screw caps to 250C - if any have experience with those kind, please do chime in aswell.

@Concentrated_humbold ya, i would need to change my Julabo threaded fitting tho so i could even try if that worked for me, have davids 24/40 head, 14gl barbs.

but kinda would be alot more cheaper than getting the beaker fittings, and then change them on my julabo.

1 Like

Same here, ive got a viton hose that goes over the glass head threads, i used to use pipe clamps but seemed sketchy tightening over glass, since ive just been slipping it over.
Now that i think about it, its kinda sketchy with 180C liquid but its worked so far :man_shrugging: (knock on wood)

2 Likes

See if you can swap the hose or just cut the end off. Mine are gl14 size i just dont use the fitting

1 Like

What size tubing should i get for my gl14 glass barbs? have a little trouble understanding 1/6" - 3/8" so forth corresponding to the barb size would that be a 3/8 hose i would need?

Ya thats what i have id have to check the inside diameter. Also radiator clamps if you have to since the smooth on the inside and wont where holes once the tubing is hot.

2 Likes

@Concentrated_humbold aready have 2 short peices of viton, but to small for the barb on condenser, so need either fittings wich was the route i was down, or new hose and new fittings for julabo heater wich may be a better solution. they would properly fit the hose i got for the B-W SS fittings but the hose is also old and used, but had trouble understanding the corresponding sizes

Feel the same way, had one spring a leak from wearing through the riugh aide of a clamp. It was like a wayer sprinkler of 160c silicone oil, luckily caught it right as it happened

1 Like

Its 3/8 inside 5/8 outside. Viton chemical duty off ebay for cheap got 25 ft for 50$

2 Likes

Jeez thats not fun, ive got the circulator on a specific breaker, so if anything goes wrong i can run out and turn it off, i guess theres always a down side of “jimmy rigging” things lol
Glad u didnt get sprayed :pray:

2 Likes

thats awesome, i needed that @Concentrated_humbold.

thanks - Got some of the A team here.

1 Like

Ya mine setup to only take seconds to stop the flow and heat, and added a valve on the output to control the flow so it doesnt blow off/out/through all the bad things