What Gasket material makes the best seal?

What material makes the best gasket? As of right now I am using viton and find it annoying to get a good seal. I was just wondering if there are any better materials than viton and what their advantages are. Thanks

1 Like

I like viton.
Tuff steel are nice but expensive.
Ptfe envelope work well too.

9 Likes

PTFE envelope gaskets

9 Likes

Also, on my 10ā€ gaskets I started using the ones with the outer lip

I like them a lot more.

7 Likes

One of my guys loves the outer lip on the 12"

9 Likes

I run the viton with the flanged lip for the the 12". I can get a 12" collection on myself using them, as the flange helps keep the gasket in place when seating. I bought a PTFE envelope gasket for the 12" but the PTFE is too smallā€¦doesnt fit the triclampā€¦garbage. I do run the PTFE envelope gaskets on the top and bottom of my columns as they are opened every run, and never give me grief about coming apart.

4 Likes

Ive always used buna, need it flanged on the 12. I got some new gaskets, Ive used the ptfe envelope gasket? It works, its stiff so no need for a flange, it loses vac with no clamp on, the buna held vac with no clamp. I got some toughsteel and some blue ptfe to test too.

2 Likes

You can try the vacuum assist trick to get a good seal. Can make it easier for rack mounted systems or larger diameter gaskets.

You may need to re torque the gasket after the system reaches lower temps.

3 Likes

Viton (FKM) and buna-N both seal well in my experience. If the gasket isnā€™t sealing well under vacuum or pressure, thereā€™s usually something wrong with the gasket (maybe itā€™s just a tiny bit ā€˜undersizedā€™, all too often on cheaper 10" and 12" in my experience- some seem to need a little 'stretch" to sit nicely in the groove)

Make sure both mating surfaces and the gasket are clean, and lube it. Nothing helps a tri-clamp gasket slip perfectly into place as you pull it into place using vacuum, like a little bit of lubricant to let it slide.

6 Likes

What lube? is super thin coat of olive oil ok?

1 Like

Objectively: kalrez. Have fun at $300/gasket though

3 Likes

Kalrez over Tuf-Steel?

edit: damn Its been a minute since I checked the prices. I thought the $300 for kalrez was a 12"ā€¦ jesus they are expensive, fucking 4"ā€¦

3 Likes

I prefer the lower durometer. I honestly have no tuf-steel experience but sounds like itā€™s pretty much just reinforced PTFE.

2 Likes

Even though I donā€™t have them on my website.

I sell every gasket with the flange as well 6ā€-12ā€ and I have them for the cheapest in America.

One day Iā€™ll be able to list all the products on my site but 8ā€ and up the flanged viton is where itā€™s at.

There are significantly thicker than the non flanged ones

9 Likes

Do I just dm you to order those?

What other cool shit do you not have on your website?

3 Likes

There is soo much here not on the site. Since March this business has really become unmanageable by just me. In 2021, Iā€™m going to have to make some serious changes.

Just dm if you need them. I think Iā€™m like 20% cheaper than anyone out there on them and of course the more you buy. The cheaper they get.

8 Likes

We need to talk about me carrying some of your things up hereā€¦ Thereā€™s literally NO WHERE you can go to get extractor supplies up here, and Iā€™m convinced thereā€™s a market need thatā€™s not being met because itā€™sā€¦ Alaskaā€¦?

9 Likes

Viton for Butane. Buna for CO2

Referring to Haskel pumps

I decided to try mct oil put on thin and wiped off for gasket lube.