What Gasket material makes the best seal?

Get you some my dude. It really makes a big difference having the flange when mounting collection bases by yourself. Life saver.

3 Likes

I actually got my first couple flanged 10ā€ gaskets right before I ran my outdoor! They are the bees knees for sure.

2 Likes

read the post that his post links too, he breaks it down into great detail. He uses MCT, and explains how he applies it.

2 Likes

Its funny how I came to the same conclusion without noticing the link. People smoke mct, there will be far less than one drop on the gasket interior.

it seals immmediately, but im using my collection as a vac chamber and with the pump off the next day it has no vac. Its a hard gasket with a thin rim of buna. Im not concerned, im sure itll hold fine with a clamp.

I think Buna-N is a bad choice given its limited chemical compatability.

Next step up would be FKM.

Ideally, PTFE envelope gasketsā€”but be warned, they require a lot more torque to seal properly. My suggestion is that you purchase a torque wrench and torque the bolts down to the same value each time you tighten.

Tufsteel is really stiff, like unforgivingly stiff. It seems to have the best temperature rating and chemical compatibility, but Iā€™ve only ever used it for steam service.

6 Likes

thatā€™s insaneā€¦

Thatā€™s exactly what it is, sintered ā€œPassivated and atomizedā€ stainless steel impregnated PTFE. In my limited experience, itā€™s so stiff that it doesnā€™t seal well enough to allow full vacuum depth, just like plain PTFE. I also prefer lower durometer gaskets; donā€™t trust stiff ones to seal dinged up tri clamp flanges well at -30"Hg or 100+psi

Same thoughts on buna-n; I use alcohol to clean oil residues off surfaces, and you see the buna breaking down if you use white rags. If it comes off on a rag it could come off into the oil. So. FKM for me.

4 Likes

Yes it is. For what itā€™s worth, Kalrez exists because some genius at dupont realized sometimes you really need an elastomer and some things eat all elastomers. Itā€™s amazing what the stuff can handle but yeah, itā€™s insane what it costs

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the 12 inch PTFE gasket i purchased from HFS doesnā€™t fit my honeypot. I purchased extras as backups as wellā€¦ all of them are too small or out of round. Iā€™m going to try and heat them up to finesse the fitment, but I really do prefer my gaskets actually fitā€¦

@Killa12345 you got a better option?

1 Like

We sell 12ā€ gaskets with a lip and ship them flat so they donā€™t deform during shipping. These are the easiest gaskets to use for them big 12ā€ spools and stuff.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never been able to get a 12ā€ ptfe gasket to seal properly.:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

This really depends on the application. Ton need to consider durometer (which can even carry within a single material) , hear tolerance and chemical compatibility. Viton is pretty solvent resistant but but very squishy so it canā€™t have a hard time sealing in certain applications.

I love the engineering toolbox for compatibility matrixes.

3 Likes

I found viton the easiest gasket material for sealing but Iā€™d advise not using or having any acetone near them.

The problem with viton is the lower temps we use but never really seen any get damaged from it

2 Likes

Thereā€™s this magical material called Calrez that is the holy grail of solvent resistance, sealability and strength. But it is ridiculously expensive. $1,000 for a vac oven gasket, but it could practically be a forever gasket.

4 Likes

Only thing Iā€™ve damaged viton gaskets with is iso, which the compatibility chart says is a no no

4 Likes

Kalrez is definitely impressive when it comes to solvent compatibility/inertness and it seals pretty well especially compared to alternatives like PTFE. Unfortunately though, itā€™s mechanical properties arenā€™t particularly great, Iā€™ve definitely seen kalrez seals fail from mechanical wear and tear. And it sucks when it happens lol because that shit is $$$

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what makes it so sealable. Itā€™s soft, not strong. Practically disposable. But oh so chemical resistant

1 Like