What does this even mean (laminar path)

Summits has a laminar path monocow with a short condensing coil just past the receiving flask connection to help with condensing vapors and consequently improving vacuum. link

1 Like

yep. the question is, what does it mean?
because the flow path is almost certainly NOT laminar.

Maybe Elliots logic is that the extra cooling and full bore helps you remove vapor more rapidly, dial in temps and quickly stabilize your reaction for improved vacuum?

1 Like

It’s not wether the design is a good one or not, the question is why does he use the term laminar to describe a system that isn’t laminar.

2 Likes

5247a9920be592bea1ace58085f66171--funny-memes-funny-shit

17 Likes

@Jay-TL Maybe take a look at Hinckman’s High-vacuum Short-path Distillation-A Review.

It is in the Datadump.

you’ll find that opening up the vacuum path to move more vapour is not a new concept.

Has anyone tracked down any of the patents that Hinkman cited?

2 Likes

@cyclopath @Future Yep thank you guys.

Am I saying his equipment is bad? No, I have absolutely no experience with any of it. Am I saying he is (and has time and time before) using buzz words that have little to no meaning in this context to help market? Yes.

I’ll put it one more way. If short paths manufacturers are bottled water companies, right now he is “SMART” water…

2 Likes

Lol, he would be “Schlauberger wasser”, Not smart water!
You’ve seen his Hochstrom filter? It means high current!
So I prepose Elliot to be the head of “smartass water”!
fab95e3881094d8976f7f2fe80e9bf90--idiocracy-movie-funny-movies
This is my medical diagnosis for Elliot…

4 Likes

Of course it’s not a new idea. Thanks for the data dump link! Looks like I have some reading material for my upcoming vaca!!

We have a winner!

What do you mean like the joint sizes, or do you mean like flow speed?

dunno about @Bruce_leeroy, but I like to hear whatever you’ve got to say about your distillation heads. I don’t imagine you want to immortalize it under the banner of “what does the even mean?”.

Maybe a new thread on SPD heads, or the pre-existing How far do you go to distill cannabinoids?

1 Like

Mainly flow speeds, haha i assumed the joint size would be available on your website .

I agree with @cyclopath though we love information and im about the buy a couple 10 liters systems and i like to be an informed buyer

Elliot for president

1 Like

He and Trump have similar speech patterns so it’s definitely possible

5 Likes

i want to like this a second time

1 Like

i read this months ago and had a chuckle but in the re-read i had a thought. It’s been a while but it happens!.

If you designed your SPD to have joints that created zero turbulenece, just a smooth flow of glass connecting to glass without a bump or ridge or change in size, so basically a magical joint (see what I did there? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) then you would have a more clear, less turbulent laminar flow layer. From what I have seen of the Summit equipment it is nice, but it is standard glassware.

2 Likes

“like” received!

Ok so two things:

I wasn’t trying to say that it isn’t possible to achieve laminar flow in a distillation. Honestly I have no idea, and in science there are always exceptions. When calculating the Reynolds number, there are a ton of variables that each have their own sub variables. What I learned after a quick literature search is that laminar flow isn’t really a thing unless you are talking about membrane distillation? (this was a really quick and lazy search bc I doubted finding anything so prove me wrong)

What I was trying to say is that even if it WAS laminar, what benefit does that have to the process? Why should anyone pay more or less for it? Turbulent flow means higher flow rates anyways.