What does "full spectrum distillate" mean?

See this term a lot. Full spectrum crude makes sense. Full spectrum distillate does not. Is this just a stupid marketing term or am I wrong?

3 Likes

100% has been turned into a marketing term, one company’s definition of full spectrum can be miles away from another’s, but for the uneducated consumer base who won’t ever even take a look at a COA all they know is it’s “full spectrum” “co2” is what they want to buy and isolates and ethanol are bad.

Does that mean 5% minor cannabinoids? .5%? .005%? Yes yes and yes. Terps? Who knows!
Fun part is half the time the people behind the brands are just as clueless as the consumers.

20 Likes

Distillate cant be full spectrum unless you add stuff back to it.

14 Likes

Full spectrum Distillate = Oxymoron

14 Likes

Full spectrum = full spectrum of plant oils as extracted from the plant.
Distillate = a targeted fractioned off piece of a feedstock (plant extract) separated by BP’s

Full Spectrum Distillate=

i still dont understand why people call a fraction of full spectrum oil still full spectrum oil lol

10 Likes

I mean, I suppose you could mix in some cbd,cbg distillate and call it full spectrum… which still isn’t right, but at least you tried?

It’s really an honor system, and unfortunately you NEED to label some products full and broad spectrum or you simply will lose buyers at the wholesale and retail level. I held off on it for a year, and explained to many why I chose to word it the way I did but nobody cared at all so I finally caved.

Having worked behind the counter selling my products to consumers I can say confidently many of them cling to buzzwords and refuse to learn any more. Or refuse to learn anything from you from the start if they come to the conclusion you are a bias or unreliable source, then continue to go home and google some “studies” of brands shameless “we’re the best!” self promotion with classic us vs them mentalities.

I put my brands 10,000MG full spectrum product alongside a competitors 2,000MG one that sold for about the same price. Regardless of my product being higher in minor Cannabinoids, taste better, and 5x the value, customers would often opt for the more expensive brand for some reason. I’m sure there’s some books about that psychology in advertising and perceived value or something.

I have recommended a high CBD:THC 50:1 ratio tincture to a first time consumer and they picked a 1,000MG THC 15ml tincture because they “like the pretty packaging”.

Until the industry is more established and rules are set on what you can label products all the descriptive words mean nothing. Funny seeing companies like select getting sued for it though claiming “only 100% pure cannabis oil”’and cutting with mct

1 Like

I work with a hemp company and my partner always refers to full spec distillate and I chew his head off every time :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Full spectrum distillate = CBD distillate that might make you fail your drug test but you get to pretend it gets you buzzed.

2 Likes

Actually varuous cannanaboids can be present in distillate. Distillate is the absence of terpenes, lipids, waxes. Those (terps, lipids, waxes) make up a full spectrum extract.

3 Likes

The marketing I see is this:

Full spectrum = has THC
Broad = T Free

1 Like

You can totally get waxes & lipids in your distillate if you don’t winterize first…not that I recommend doing so. I hear it plugs cold traps something awful

1 Like

99% of spd, wfe, ffe ALL winterize before hand. I’ve never heard of running spd/wfe/ffe with out winterizing.

It makes zero sense not to

3 Likes

I’ve seen it done, on a large enough scale I think the argument could be made that it would save money over winterizing a large quantity of crude beforehand, but I fully recognize the risks and hassle involved with running that gunk thru your distillation equipment. YMMV.

5 Likes

the way you guys say it the only thing full spectrum would be if you ate it like a salad…

fresh, stems and seeds and leafs and all…

You could have a full or original spectrum of cannabinoids.

or terpenes…

or plant extract…

Yes, i see that distinction most commonly. At least on the wholesale level. On the retail level people call things whatever they want to.

2 Likes

Your answer is very educative, and thanks for sharing more light on my understanding about the whole fraction of full spectrum oil to full spectrum oil.

I have got carts tested ( around vapegate time) that had a broadspectrum test result. Delta 8/9 /10, cbg , cbn , cbc was all up that in that jazz. Even the lab tek was suprised cause it was so rare to actually see a broad spectum one that was actually " broadspectrum".

Not necessarily. EtOH soak at room temp for a long period of time will give you full spectrum. Pulls all the terps, cannabinoids, and all the gunk (lipids, waxes, chlorophyll, etc.) RSO is the perfect example of full spectrum extract.

3 Likes