What do you extract with and why?

Apeks CO2.

hemp.

may have a spork allergy :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I know. He hit me up after that post and I told him to make the apeks thread, seeing that it seemed like he might need some assistance due to him not being used this. I know we normally tell people to use the search bar, this time I thought he could find someone to help him via dm.

God knows I sometimes really would like some help digging through all the info. Iā€™m scratching my head trying to make sauce and diamonds with etho, lol. Everyone isnā€™t as capable as you, homie. Hehehe.

4 Likes

like doing things the hard way huh?

@tweedledew has suggested around here that louching into pentane might be your best bet. way easier to rotovap the pentane off without losing the terps.

I need to throw some decent product at the problem to confirmā€¦ but first I need to get the *^(&#@Q($#Qing chiller working. :wink:

Edit: pentane should also make the magic dirt more effective, should you wanna go all #chloroxcrew on it.

5 Likes

Lol. Indeed. That is actually what Iā€™m aiming to try. Waiting for some things to align and am working with what I have atm. Doing some small batch acetone tryouts in the upcoming days. But youā€™re right, cold crashing with pentane is what I really want to try once Iā€™m able to.

But I got an op from soil to oil about a potential sand that also would separate the terp layer, kinda making a sauce. So i wanted to try that to with the etho. So much changed after this crash it will take a minute to perfect these new techniques.

2 Likes

Were using Hexane with 3% methyl acetate for room temp column extraction.

Were are left with on average less than 0.5% cbd in the biomass after extraction.

1 Like

@Kingofthekush420
how much t5 and carbon are you putting in per kg of decarbed crude?

yeah, Iā€™ve got one.
I could not make anything but a mess with it.

what did you have in mind?
Because Iā€™m happy to try itā€¦

We are convinced by the results our extractor uses with hexane.

What are you convinced by? Residuals? If so have you mentioned it to the extractor?
@Fusion

The results, mostly Cbda and the preservation of terps. We take this and blend w carrier oil and our customers provide great feedback.

1 Like

Have you asked?

Not sure what you mean? We test residuals, and they are below accepted levels and everything is great with our product.

1 Like

I only meant that if you are not sure what solvent your extractor uses, an easy way to find out would be to ask. Since it seems you donā€™t know. That was what I meant.

1 Like

They use hexane / multi fuel.

@Kingofthekush420 is the centrifuge used in your sop sealed tight and ventilated? Because I was thinking windage generated in the centrifuge would cause vaporization of the solvent that would have to be dealt with. Or is that only an issue with more volitale solvents? Thanks.

1 Like

Would LLE be just as good a way to remove the terpines as your second bake?

2 Likes

Most centrifuges will have three top ports. One inlet and the other two are optional. I use one of those ports to relieve pressure. Currently just keep a butterfly valve open but will switch to a PRV that is set to 0.5psi.

And youā€™re correct, even for super cold solvent it will create vapor pressure in the headspace.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the response. I donā€™t want to blow anything up :slight_smile:

1 Like

@TheGratefulPhil Can you bypass the centrifuge when using the more volatile solvents since you could in theory add pressure to a vessel and boil it out of the trim? Could you boil it out within say the 10 minutes you are soaking the upstream batch? I heard from someone using hexane their trim was ā€œ98% dry without a centrifugeā€

Yes, hydrocarbons donā€™t need a fuge to evaporate until dry but the amount of solvent used should be less while using a fuge. A centrifuge will pull your cannabinoids off the biomass where as evaporation will leave more behind.

3 Likes