What do you extract with and why?

T5 is bentonite.

1 Like

So big fat no on that. Iā€™m getting tired of my pandas, third spout broke tonight and it also spat out a bunch of pieces that somehow, seemingly due to the etho making parts brittle, broke offā€¦

Am about to turn my washing machine into a salad spinner, cause pandas have def helped me a lot, but this made me realize how much the etho fucks it up.

2 Likes

Are you using food grade etoh or denatured?

Denatured is a no-no with plastics n such.

1 Like

190 organic cane sugar etho. Just saying the materials used in the panda seem to get brittle and break after heavy use.

2 Likes

What kind of centrifuge are you using to spin dry your hexane soaked material? Wondering if my pandas will still work for this, Iā€™ve already swapped out the spouts since they started to leak and cracked pretty quickly from using heptane denatured ethanol.

2 Likes

Sounds sketchy bro be safe

No fuge for him. Heā€™s using a salad spinner hacked washing machine. Iā€™m about to do the same on his recommendation.

3 Likes

Well, the issue with an azeotrope is that it is a vappr phase phenomenon that has its own boiling pointā€¦ so the 20Ā°C difference rule of thumb for fractional distillation of 2 different b.p. components would only apply between the b.p. of any amount of 1 of the 2 components that is present in excess of the azeotrope percentage and the b.p. of the azeotropic mixture of those 2 components.

As for the publication you posted, it is talking about changing the affinity between the ethanol and the hexane by introducing a compound with greater affinity for ethanol than hexane has, I believe. That is a common method for separating azeotropes. An easy one is using table salt to break the azeotrope of water and isopropanol.

7 Likes

@Photon_noir
Thank you very much.

1 Like

I use a washing machine, the same one in the salad spinner thread. Keep the lid on and it works pretty good at keeping the vapor in

5 Likes

you have access to a tig welder? or a local welding and fabrication shop should do it for a small fee, or a good friend maybe. you can get a stainless 1.5 " sanitary pipe weld on fitting to replace your panda spout

2 Likes

ā€œsalting outā€

I ended up canceling my order for hexane from carbon chemistry since it had a 4 week lead time and ordered instead from BVV, they have it for $455/55 gallon. I ordered two barrels and two 5 gallon pails of heptane for only $1436 including shipping and tax.

3 Likes

Why both? Iā€™ve been opting for hexane because itā€™s less acutely toxic than heptane.

Also got this when getting hexane from lab alley.

"C4270 is 86% lab grade

C4271 is 99.9% ACS grade

C4273 is 95% ACS grade

ACS stands for American Chemical Society and is a higher grade of chemical than the lab grade."

1 Like

I plan to extract with the hexane and only use heptane for doing water/saline washes and wet scrubbing with T-5/T-41

This is my revised plan for crude preprocessing:

Flood 25l centrifuge with hexane (12lbs biomass in 6 gallons hexane)
Soak 10 min
Filter out sediment with 50l buchner
Recover hexane
Degum SOP columbo labs
Heptane/saline wash separatory funnel
Heptane T-5 scrub
Filter over celite 545
Heptane T-41 scrub
Filter over celite 545
Recover heptane
Dissolve in methanol
Warm winterize
Cold winterize
Recover methanol
Decarb in rotovap
Distill refined crude

5 Likes

Hex is my favoriteā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking you could save some time scrubbing t5 and t41 together, Iā€™m also adding the alumina here. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m gonna do together with the degumming clay being shipped to me.

3 Likes

Which hex are you using?

1 Like

Cool I was wondering if I could do them both together or not. Would definitely save some time.

1 Like

You can definitely do that. After Iā€™m done testing the degumming clay Iā€™ll report back, but check the thread here already. Itā€™s looking very promising over the old degumming ways. My OP is different from yours, but I havenā€™t found the exact ways to do it yet. Iā€™m thinking of winterizing after the degum. Then roto again and do the methanol/hexane wash and separate out the methanol with sep funnel before roto takes out the hexane and then spd. But I use etho, so decarb happens after first roto for me.

2 Likes