What container to do ethanol wash in?

Why does shipping have cost so much for a big ass stainless drum? Hahaha after shipping to here it’s about 180 otd not bad for a new keg but the 230.00 shipped yeast brink seems more functional and easier to clean at least for being a vacuum vessel for filtering.

I like the 8.5g beer pots for the initial extraction because they fit the 5g bubble bags nicely but my next round where in winterize better will be the true test when I load the beer pot with dry ice

1 Like

yes they will. very nicely.

@Photon_noir’s implementation…not currently in service, one of many such cat skinning installations.

note: these are smaller than the 1bbl stout fermenters linked above. so don’t take my word that you can fit two of them in the linked freezer. I’ve not looked at the actual dimensions on the linked freezer OR fermenters. That said the stout tanks look like they’ll fit to me, and assuming they do, it’s a great solution.

Edit: looks tight, but doable (so I checked :nerd_face:).

The tanks pictured are 15" diameter. The stout tanks are 18.5". The stout tanks are just short enough to fit in the (linked) freezer, and should tuck side-by-side in the back just as pictured above.

Thanks for finding & sharing that solution @asher!

One should proceed very carefully when drilling a hole in a $12,000 freezer…

6 Likes

Awesome! I had a feeling that was a good set-up to focus on for my needs. Thanks for the feedback… super cool to see how great minds think alike! :wink:

1 Like

You know i watched You all speak out
But i use square box type bins for My washes
Put them side by side with a u over the edge Where they touch each. Other
That way No etho drips on the Floor and more volume in the freezer
They are only 5 gallons a piece but larger works just as good
300 liter sonic baths same trick a U over the edge and pillowcase with biomass

2 Likes

a true :pirate_flag: doesn’t spill the liquor!!

what are you using the sonic bath for?
you’re not screaming at my girls are you?

https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.14075

I hope you’re at least bathing them first…

3 Likes

I know but once You work in places Where cannabis is cultivated as much as the eye can reach
And the minions are yust weary of working with iT and stuborn like hell
IT s solution s like this that keep the peace😀
And without this solution work went slower and slower for at the end off the day You coulldnt move your feet for they Where stuck in crude all solvent yust disapeard in 35C conditions :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Chest freezer with 2x4s around the chest frame remount lid on 2x4s

1 Like

I opted for a chest freezer w a custom built to size tank I got 2 155 gallon tanks for 1300

2 Likes

That’s what the original plan was…to have multiple approx. 15-20 gallon tanks to fit side by side in the chest freezer…smaller size to accommodate lifting/moving…but then I realized it’s only rated to -25C(this freezer), so I began reconfiguring…

Do you pump out of your chest “freesevoir” or ? @Champone

1/4 inside a 1/2 for jacket. 1.5" TC for bottom drain. 5 gal mesh bags. Kept my tincture at a steady -35-40c. With better insulation, I’m sure it can get colder.

2 Likes

I let the freezer get it to the lowest temp possible then I get it colder in wash size batches from there

1 Like

Yeah, very versatile spare parts…

Or lab art.

…filtering cbd in ethanol looks to be today’s task…

4 Likes

What on Gods green earth is that?

1 Like

This is what I use. Piped into two drop down filters. And then into a 5 glass carboy. I extract at -80c with no problems.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=14818&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO62R8ekviM-G2ekwbdjy8HE0jAS5qt6CCVZ9of0e6EZGpjMGkX2c2gRoC3JAQAvD_BwE

A filter stack on a keg.

Using the “multi-tool” that was once a MkIII Terp top that you enquired about earlier.

Not my assemblage.

do you worry about kicking the bucket?

-80 is a hair colder than most 3rd party engineers would sign off on for HDPE.

No experience with LLDPE which is what that bucket claims to be…had to look it up…still not sure how it handles cold.

1 Like

Are you filtering up through that by putting pressure into the tank?

Nice I like it. I have 3 in lines as of now

I really like this idea. I assume your using a ULT freezer. How does it stay between -80c - 70c with being open while filtering ? Or do you close the freezer while it is filtering ? When our ULT freezer door is open it gets hot quickly. Love this idea and thanks for any info !!

Most of the filter is outside the freezer, and the doors should be closed. The upright was a -20C, and all I had available at the time. Worked great when the filter didn’t clog. Which it didn’t with stainless scrubbies in the freezer as the first cut. But getting those clean wasn’t a task I managed to delegate. so I got a better freezer.

One very carefully puts holes in the freezer.

Or makes holes in the doors, which don’t have coils, and only sometimes have electrickery in them.

2 Likes