What can we do with fats and lipids?

This one time my buddy left a large jar of fats on a wood burning stove and came back to find it had turned into a hard black rubber like substance. I thought it might have some kind of eco material use.

carbon sugar sludgeā€¦ he might have made a new symbiote

2 Likes

use it to cut what?

Curious, what did Eurofin charge for that test? I got a quote for 2kā€¦

Oh, I donā€™t even know. A coworker ordered that one but it sounds about right, 1500-2K.

i think i just washed my lipids/waxes with heptane but, maybe i only made motherliquor and candle wax??

I was just replying on the chat. Heptane dissolves lipids to a degree, so winterizing in it wonā€™t get them all out. That being said, the white cake is probably a pretty pure pile of hemp wax with some cannabinoids and terpenes in there. You can wash with a cold solvent that doesnā€™t dissolve wax but likes cannabinoids. Ethanol or Methanol are the most common.

1 Like

i have 99 eth and i also have methanol. which would be the most efficient? thanks Btw for the input.

im guessing methanol would be preffered because if i mix with the heptane fats it will make the heptane float am i correct? being that methanol is a polar solvent; heptane is very non-polar??

Either should do fine, Iā€™d rather play with less toxic chemicals when possible so ethanol. You can warm up the ethanol and dissolve the wax (10:1), re-winterize, and rinse with cold clean ethanol.

Methanol is good for LLE with heptane, and yes it does exclude lipids more, but at sub-zero temps itā€™s negligable. What are you using the lipids for, a topical? I wouldnā€™t want the possibility of trace methanol in products, but for R&D itā€™s fine.

3 Likes

iā€™ll do just that. thanks man.

iā€™m just fucking around to be honest. Having that huge jar of wax and lipids made me ponder if i could do another extraction. just like i dont throw away my tea bag after iā€™m done with my first cup iā€™ll use it again and get another one out of it.

ideally my goal is to obtain and clean up the cannabinoids (if any present) and if i can make a candle out of the wax left over then thats cool too.

its a VERY terpy batch of fats and smells just delightful so maybe i can get something out of this little experiment of mine.

2 Likes

Eurofins is great. We use them for testing pesticides and micro content with our fulvic acid.

3 Likes

A few years back I washed my fats and lipids a few times and dehydrated the ethanol out, eventually I used it as a replacement for a beeswax based chapstick. The first batch was kind of sticky (it wasnā€™t washed enough) The second batch worked out great. It just wasnā€™t feasible to allocate labor to a product with such low return.

2 Likes

You can definitely use it in various topical formulations. I have used it in candles, soaps, and salves. Just make sure the EtOH is purged enough to safely use in candles. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I had a thought about a use for collected wax. Its not the most exciting idea but its something other than candles/beauty products.
Waxes are also used as a preservative, i.e. wax paper.
It would be cool to see a jar of distillate with a layer of wax upon its top to prevent degradation. Maybe it would keep better long term., i dont know. It could be a alternative to inert gas back filing. Perhaps for long term storrage? Its kind of how the canna plant stores all its goodies inside the trich, no?
It could be cool, i see the obvious problem of contamination in whatever it is that is being sealed up with wax and ya know adding something back in that we go to lengths for to remove is kind of counter intuitive.

1 Like

ā€˜Cold cure rosinā€™

The times Iā€™ve had cold cure that tasted cut while dabbing. I could only guess it was lipids from bho or a form of CBG

1 Like

R&D for hemp based lacquer , paint, adhesive alternatives

2 Likes