What can we do with fats and lipids?

True not all material yields high in fats. However once we dial in the dewax Tek with the filter cartridge I’m sure we could use hot propane to pull more fats on purpose to fuel our candle products

2 Likes

Maybe 2 runs? First with your normal 70/30 cold, then next with just warm butane. So you get your good of the first batch, then pull the fats off the 2nd? Actually might be onto something here…

3 Likes

U know I’d love some for my cancer patients

1 Like

I’ve often wondered the same thing with waxes and lipids separated from CO2 oil. Need to know what specific fatty acids we’re dealing with.

1 Like

Why-not-Zoidberg-7sre73

2 Likes

Found this rabbit hole that performs room temp 10 minute separation of lipids from biomaterial (homogenized fish) using Chloroform and methanol.

Canadian Science PublishingPAPER-A RAPID METHOD OF TOTAL LIPID EXTRACTION AND PURIFICATION.pdf (320.2 KB)

4 Likes

Hi, I’m new on it and english is not my language so please be tollerant! Is it possible use Buchner funnel after CRC? Usually in the CRC there are a couple of 20 micron filter but I don’t think they filter waxes, fats and lipids right? I trashed recently everything I had so to restart with new setting and new tek. I’d like to buy a cls system that has Buchner Funnel and in line CRC or is technical impossible? is it smart thinking to CRC for small batch (FF) for personal use? Also, is it possible run a small cls with a 6’ CRC? I mean do I need a minimum psi to run it inline? I was looking for BVV CRC column but not completely sure their prepackaged filters are the top. I have no idea about the media, I just know that Murphy Murri said to start with 50% T5 and 50% Silica. I’d like to join a Murphy class but actually there is no flights from EU (I’m Italian farmer living in Barcelona where I have a small indoor farm).

1 Like

First off, 50% silica is way too much. It will take too much yield. You don’t always need silica unless there is a high amount of fats and even then I would recommend 30% max. Only use silica if the bleaching clay is not removing color efficiently

From what I read it sounds like you’re having clarity issues which is why you want to Büchner funnel after. T5 is acid activated but neutral. You need an acidic clay like W1 or CT1 and don’t bake to improve the clarity. The water and acidity in the powder helps remove the fats that take away from clarity.

A small cls is possible and I can help you build one and export it if needed. There is also classes online you can take to improve this process in your language. DM if you need more info

7 Likes

thanks for fast answer! I create a new post with all the question I have, hope to not did something wrong. When I used to extract my material, I had several problems but the first was the kind of resins of some genetics I had. In other word, too waxy resin and an old cls from Bogart that didnd help me a lot. But now I trashed all the genetics and all the system I had. So new life, new seeds, new lab setting. I’m restarting all because someone hit me and run in San Fran after the 2019 emerald cup and I had a broken leg (I was walking, it was night). Actually I restart the farm since a couple of months. I really need an help rethinking all. Thanks for your offer. About online class: its hard with my language capacity, I could try but I dream seeing how MM works and talk ‘live’. About waxes: normally how people is filtering waxes? after inline crc? or before crc? thanks

text me when u will be free and in the lab. Here its 3.30 pm

You are right some genetics have more waxes of a kind over the other. The waxes you speak of are the phospholipid fraction that gets picked up by the solvent. The way to avoid picking it up depends on your system design. Also biomass will develop these just like a banana would as it ages. In those scenarios is where I would recommend using a silica or high moisture bleaching clay. They are hydrophilic phospholipids that can easily be removed. If not removed, the bleaching clay can’t do it’s job and you will end up with a dark color even if you try to crc it. Hit me up on Instagram and we could chat live
IG: waxplug1

4 Likes

i’ve got a bunch of lipids from c02 then winterization. they smell soooooo damn good. it was a trim run of runtz and gsc. anyone want to follow up with their proposals? did anyone get their coa’s back? did anyone try that wash with pentane and try to crash with heptane? thanks in advance. dont want to throw this vanilla pudding away haha

2 Likes

What product are you trying to salvage from the fats? Terps? Thca? Make candles?

If that’s from BHO, there is a good chance a lot of that is precipitated THCa. Test it or just supersaturate some pentane with it and see if diamonds crash.

1 Like

chances are…

cannabinoid infused soap?

bidiesel? my Benz always used to smell like french fries…imagine it smelling like vanilla pudding?

I’m super lazy. Are there fats and waxes coas in this thread?

Does anyone test their waxes

1 Like

everyone who drops them and tosses them absolutely should test them, at least every now and then. no. zero coa iirc.

1 Like

if the fats contained terps… which they absolutely did. that vanilla pudding mix that was on my filter was dank af. then i would guess there’s a good amount of cannabinoids in there as well… i had 448g of lipids and i added them to a jar of heptane ( 450g ) then i homogenized and placed in my terp fridge. not necessarily for function but just to preserve anything until i figured out what i’m going to do with it. and if they separate and something crashes out that’s great but i just wanna keep it cool.

and yes to answer your question i would love to maybe separate some residual thca but with the lipid concentration i didnt know if this was feasible.

BTW i came into work and my coworker had already blasted the trim the previous day so i’m not privy to his c02 parameters.

How about the winterization?
Less liquor means more thca.