What are people's thoughts on sunflower/soy lecithin in gummies?

Some people seem to swear by it. Anyone have opinions on it?

Sunflower :sunflower:

5 Likes

Soy lecithin is optional… Sunflower is not… :eyes:

5 Likes

I use lecithin. one potential issue is it clumping but theres ways to avoid that such as a homogenizer. I got rid of that issue before a homogenizer by mixing the water and emulsifier in a blender and it seemed adequate.

When you cure your gummies in a dry environment, lecithin works as a humectant to still keep some moisture internally while not letting the outside get sticky. Anecdotally, lecithin also acts like an activator for THC so it is absorbed more quickly in the body.

We use a heavy duty wand blender to blend the gummies and disty. We’ve never had an issue with clumps or hot spots with lecithin.

4 Likes

How much are you using per batch? At what point do you add it in?

Check the gummy mega thread or I’m sure someone would love to be paid for their SOP.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Dietary fats and pharmaceutical lipid excipients increase systemic exposure to orally administered cannabis and cannabis-based medicines - PMC - Why you should always use lecithin

Effects of Medium-Chain Triglycerides, Long-Chain Triglycerides, or 2-Monododecanoin on Fatty Acid Composition in the Portal Vein, Intestinal Lymph, and Systemic Circulation in Rats - PMC - Why you should never use sunflower oil/ fats with high (long chain Triglyceride) for ingestion.

I would pass on the sunflower oil hard. Sunflower oil while great for emulsifiers lacks MCT. Ive always hated on butter after reading these articles years ago. butter has like 40-55% MCT vs 90-96 with oils. sunflower has near 0. literally backstepping with sunflower - The higher the MCT the higher abosrption rates our bodies have of said fats.

2 Likes

I thought lecithin had choline essential for liver health and a good ratio of Omega 3/6 fatty acids.

(Nevermind, it’s soy lecithin, not sunflower)

soy lecithin has estrogen in it so thats why everyone switched over to sunflower

2 Likes

LMAOOO that’s too good! I used to use soy lecithin until a friend recomended sunflower for allergen reasons. More people are allergic to soy than sunflowers

3 Likes

Has anyone made their own liquid sunflower lecithin out of the powder? I know you can buy it as a liquid but i was only able to find powder in my local shops and wondered if there wasa way i could liquify it. I had issues with clumping when i was still using the stovetop/whisking method for gummies, but now i am using a hot plate and stick blender and it seems to do a much better job of completely distrubting it- however with one batch of a lighter colored flavor i did notice a few random brown spots in some which i assume to be the lecithin. Thinking liquifying it would eliminate this potential issue from popping up again.

Phosphatidylcholine is what you want

1 Like

Hi, do you have a source or Amazon link for this? Phosphatidylcholine

Blue Dyno taken at Moon Made Farms in Garberville 2019