WFE WTF: is the POPE kosher?

I already did, you should be using DE or a filter media for the final pass to grab things smaller then a half micron.

2 Likes

Decarb in the roto and volitale strip at the same time, then into the wfe. Been doingnit for 5yrs nothinf but gold comes out. The wfe have come along way since I started with rhem but the principles are the same

You can’t use a diffusion pump with a hybrid…the vapor pressure increase takes you out of the effective range of 0.100 torr. Above that and the diffusion pump becomes a hindrance and you end up burning up the expensive diffusion pump oil. A diff pump is not a cure all by any means although it is sold that way.

1 Like

Interesting, it was on a quote I had. So the reboiler action of the hybrid makes too much vapor pressure? Could this be solved with a smaller feed volume, or a larger pump? We are useing 100mm flange edwards diffstak over here.

Here are the specs and the edwards-diffstak-manuals.pdf (1.6 MB)
This has taken all that i’ve thrown at it, although I haven’t messed around with a hybrid.

1 Like

The increase in overall system pressure is due to the pressure drop across the column itself…density of a particular packing used and the overall hydraulics of the column all contribute to the pressure drop. There is more than just that, but those are the main contributors. I can guarantee that the pressure drop will kick you out of the diff pump usable range. I prefer to use a diff pump on a short path unit only and keeping the vapor path as large as possible until you are forced to neck it down to the vacuum pump. Ideally you would like to keep the vacuum piping as large as the inlet of the diff pump, but that is not always practical. Yes, you can reduce the amount of pressure drop by reducing the feed flow, but that is still not going to allow you to keep the Vp lower enough for a diff pump…better to go with a larger cfm vacuum pump.

4 Likes

0.05 does not look like a turbo pump for sure.

How is the POPE so far? Any review? Or thinking about upgrade?

What are you referring to as a hybrid. Diffusion on a wiped film is the bees knees

answer posted up thread.

or on Pope’s website.

google.com/search?q=site:www.popecannabisdistillation.com+hybrid

for it is they that call it a hybrid…

2 Likes

Yes I agree I’m a huge fan of the wipe film over spd. I have fully dismantled the pope twice and cleaned up and worked fine no issue… But I recently took apart to clean and now doesnt seem like wants to drop in deep vacuum now that I reassembled. It wont go below 15torr. Will not drop in the mtorr now… I feel like I greased all oring good but still not dropping… Have you had any of the same issues?? Or maybe know the issue? I havnt call tech from pope yet. Figure I’ll jump on here real quick. But it was a test run and I did have feed flask empty. So could that be issue? Thanks in advance

1 Like

If you followed your exact sop than you should have the same numbers. You have any recorded data previous of clean out? I always make sure my system is stable from reading the psi and temperature before I feed. So a few questions. You filled anything in the cold trap before you vacuumed or you ran the cold trap with no coolant? Also initial feed drops psi. That being said if there is no feed than that could be the issuses I use a rolled film so my start up isn’t full blast mine is lowest setting mixer about 15hz till first drop in dist. I’ll play master n slave with feed and mixer till I get to my parameters. Also if you think o ring issuse I found doing a tap by the o rings once fully vacuumed and no feed can tell me if I have a problem. It shouldn’t move psi. Also while pulling vac does the psi gauge jump around while pulling? Once it drops it should never jump a point higher; always down.

Do a helium leak test and verify that its not the apparatus that is leaking, If everything is fine there the next suspect is the vacuum pump.

4 Likes

No I didn’t fill anything in cold trap while vac or run without coolant. But yes the system and feed were completely empty of plant material. I was trying to see if it pull fine after I cleaned and reassembled. So possible no crude in feed to create the deeper vac… I’m a noob at this only 2month in pratice give or take with sametime of training before old cowprker left. Anyways, yes it will jump a few psi up from time but go back down. Today with it being empty and trying to pull vac stayed at only 15torr. I dont have list of last cleaning but I was one that did it. And ran a few batches fine in 70mtorr but this clean up is giving issues. Everything worked fine before I disassembled. My vac pump seems fine last go around… Dam always something. Man I really appreciate the time on reply🙏

Ok i will test that. I did just run last week with no issues before dis assembled amd cleaned

No problem dude. When you find the problem write it down. Keep data and records. It will be a go to manual for when shit happens lol. A wise practice to always have for your cold trap is coolant before you flip it on. (dry ice/iso or liquid n2). Think of it as your defense to saving your pump longer. A tip with the cold trap its not necessary to freeze mit down completely if your just checking for leakage. I feel initial pulls if filled up completely can cause air flow stoppage later in the run. During start up i only fill it up halfway until i’m completely set to feed the system. I forgot to add i run a chemtech w/ carousel. I’ve attached my Distillation Analytics Collection or D.A.C. form If your not recording exact data you wont get any better. You may have to print and edit to a better format suited for your equipment. Record any changes. This is the way to becoming from a noob to god tier :slight_smile:
D.A.C. Distillation Analytics Collection

4 Likes

Literally every time I’ve disassembled mine I end up having to work with it awhile to get the vacuum right. Very frustrating.

So, I developed a cleaning procedure that only requires disassembly every 5-6 months.

3 Likes

Ok. Yeah I havnt empty my coolant I just shifted the cold trap off to side and had hanging til I reassembled. But yes you’re 100% right I need to write shit down more. When I do actually run. I have been writing my parameters in that process… The clean up disassembly I thought I wouldnt have any issue. Felt comfortable doing it. But I will write down any issues… I really appreciate the advice and trying to help another solider in this indrustry grow​:pray::raised_hands:

That sounds great. Is that something youll be willing to share? The clean up process ? Makes me feel little better I’m not only one that had issue

Sure, send me a DM, do you have a dosing pump? If you do, depending on what kind it may be a bit different. I have the one Pope makes.

1 Like

Awesome ill follow you on IG. No feed pump. only manual feed flask

1 Like

Little late but usually when this is the issue, its the main glass body not sitting correctly. Has happened to me in the past also. Im sure you’ve figured it out by now but thats always my first go to spot for a leak.

1 Like