Water Soluble cannabinoids

Yo guys.
Looking to dive into emulsions/encapsulations with a new company… Looking to make water-soluble THC distillate, then maybe rosin at one point. It will be used to make beverages and maybe tinctures/drink additives.

In the past, I have used SoluScience, so I am familiar with their process. It was a pretty user-friendly process, which was nice. However, the bitter taste was pretty bad… I’d like to find some IP (willing to pay for it) that makes a better tasting end product.

Search bar didn’t give me much more than people trying to buy/sell water soluble cannabinoids.
Any suggestions???

4 Likes

Been making nano emulsions for a while. Would love to have a non bitter formulation. I don’t even care about onset time so much as making a stable emulsion that doesn’t turn your mouth inside out.

3 Likes

agreed! They all taste sooo bad.

1 Like

i follow this page called " Action Lab "

he has a great video that made me scratch my chin with curiosity

i want to order one of these vacuum blenders and experiment

9 Likes

are you fuckin kidding me.wow

1 Like

New advice to: “I want make drank…” is “you suck!” ?!?

@c0dean thanks for sharing!!

…so how do I pull a vac on a canning jar?

3 Likes

Boil the contents, seal the jar and cool it down?

2 Likes

exactly! this is HOW canning jars WORK…

when shown the above video, @Photon_noir recalled having had some success with that method (preheating, not boiling). not by design (to my understanding), just came along for the ride on it’s own…

I was gonna achieve it the same way one vac seals jar’s of distillate in a vac oven. went looking for a link so others might learn of that trick, but got distracted. :shushing_face:

maybe some other kind soul will explain or link for those who wander in and wonder what the fuck is with the @cyclopath in the cheap seats yelling “You Suck!” :wink:

how about you @Justingram88?

4 Likes

It might be interesting to take a ternary “louche”, classic.

Put into jar evacuate and homogenize….

Then study the stability of what obtains.

the one application problem may be that the “resin” may not function as the canola oil does.

6 Likes

1 Like

I was reading about the emulsification of cannabinoids using beta-CycloDextrin on the other thread, and wanted to play around. I added 2:1 CD:d8 to my 1:10 d8:etoh, and it seemed to emulsify quite well. When I added a ml of water, it immediately broke. I am curious whether I need a tertiary emulsifier such as vitamin E. I am also curious whether incorporating phospholipids would encourage more interaction between the CD and the cannabinoids. Would it be better to sonicate it?

3 Likes

There is a big difference between emulsifying and nano-emulsions…… if you are aiming for the later, you are gonna need another surfactant such as Vitamin E. Cyclodextrin is a large cyclic biopolymer so you will have a tough time getting it to that nano size (< or = 200nm). Sounds like you are utilizing the “Louche effect” using EtOH.

The big difference between a general emulsion and a nano emulsion is the emulsion will taste better but will operate as a simple infused beverage and tend to not be shelf stable. The nano will taste like shit but hit quick, also tends to have better shelf life depending on the formulation.

I suggest a cost benefit analysis on what you and or your organization are trying to achieve.

4 Likes

Reducing the bitterness is definetly the biggest challenge with nano emulsions. You need to add substances, that modulate the bitter receptors. So far I did not find a single substance that fully eliminates the bitterness.

3 Likes

haven’t seen it used commercially or played with it myself, but I think AMP would be fun to explore as it blocks the neurological perception of bitter rather than at the receptor level like every other one I’ve utilized.

2 Likes

AMP so far helped the most to reduce bitterness. Maybe I did not use enough, but it was not able to eliminate the bitterness completely.

As far as I know, AMP does not block all TAS2R receptors.

2 Likes

Try HP-ß-CD it will work much better than ß-CD
Start with an excess of HPßCD and find the smallest amount possible. Mixing both in ethanol takes some time. A little bit of heat helps, too.

You can add phosphatidylcholine, which will help. But without sonication you are far away from a nanoemulsion and phosphatidylcholine itself will increase bitterness

Edit: avoid RM-ß-CD (randomly methylated) they are cytotoxic

2 Likes

Absolutely, and yes @MedicineManHempCo sonicating is good. Taste a lot better than the impact of high pressure homogenization. Still haven’t figured out why but did the pepsi challenge on that one and found myself :thinking:

A lot of trying to mask or alter the flavor/texture has to do with what kind of product you are trying to make…. A cola, sour fruit-ade, Chocolate, coffee, etc.

Been down the flavor modifier rabbit hole and your best bet is trial and error like any good scientist

Have you read up on how cyclodextrin can cause hearing problems?

" All patients in the trial eventually experienced permanent changes in hearing (Ory et al., 2017). Although hearing loss is a manifestation of NPC disease (Pikus, 1991; King et al., 2014), the hearing loss observed in this trial was time-locked to HPβCD exposure."

4 Likes

Excellent reference here by @Kingofthekush420
In particular @Labwork I would immediately scrap all work with the HP-b-CD:
“ Try HP-ß-CD it will work much better than ß-CD”

You do not want to be working with or dosing people or suggesting compounds neurotoxic to outer hair cell.
From the quoted article in reference to outer hair cells (OHCs) of the ear sensory apparatus:

“” it remains unclear why OHCs are preferentially susceptible to HPβCD. It is possible that HPβCD acts upon several targets—…Along with studies linking pharmacokinetics to injury, we need greater mechanistic insight into the means of HPβCD uptake into the cochlea, the molecular changes that result from HPβCD exposure in the cochlea, and the cell-death pathways that are involved in OHC loss.””

5 Likes

Thanks for pointing out. I definetly was not aware of that. Due to the fact that you have to use a ridiculous high amount of CD’s to form a water soluble inclusion complex, we stopped working with CD’s pretty soon. If you want to offer a 100mg cannabinoid portion to the customer but you are close to the edge of offering diarrhea medicine because of those high amounts of CD’s, this never was an appropiate path for water soluble cannabinoids for us. And they aren’t cheap, too.

Btw, this is what I read when working with CD’s (note that this paper is from 2013):

"Safety Orally administered cyclodextrins at high doses (> 1000 mg/kg/day) may cause reversible diarrhea and cecal enlargement in animals. These effects represent physiologically adaptive responses to a large load of poorly digestible carbohydrates and other osmotically active nutrients, of which the relevance to humans is minimal [27]. All parent cyclodextrins are accepted as food additives and “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS). As dietary supplement the total daily oral dose of α-CD may reach 6000 mg/day, for β-CD 500 mg/day and for γ-CD 10 000 mg/day, and for HP-β-CD as oral pharmaceutical 8000 mg/day [22]. Preclinically, oral NOELs after a year of HP-β-CD are 500 mg/kg/day for rats and 1000 mg/kg/day for dogs [12]. Oral NOAELs of SBE-β-CD in rats and dogs after 3 months are both 3600 mg/kg/day [27]. RM-β-CD has no oral application. "

4 Likes