Water heater

Not sure if this is the right category but… could I use one of these for my water heater on my CLS? Have a bucket with a submersible pump pushing water through it, into my CLS jacket and back into the bucket? 13kw should be more than enough for what I’m trying to do!

The price makes me think you should probably make sure it has a UL or ETL or similar stamp.

But if it does, that does seem like a damn cheap heat source.

3 Likes

It is ETL listed

Well, you really shouldn’t be using something that’s not ATEX or C1D1 rated near your CLS, but if it were on the other side of a wall or somehow otherwise protected from the potential for going kaboom I don’t see why it’s not worth a shot.

5 Likes

My CLS is outside and this will be inside a room near it… gonna try it!

2 Likes

You can absolutely use an electric tankless water heater with a submersible pump. Lots of people use them, myself included. Propane tankless water heater is another option.

7 Likes

Bitchen. I’ve used the Bosch “mini tank” water heaters before and realized the kw is not adequate even daisy chaining 2 of them when going full bore. Stoked to try it

AliExpress has those wayyyy cheaper dude. US $44.23 41%OFF | 3000W Electric Tankless Instant Hot Water Heater Bathroom Kitchen US Plug 110V
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLiWxKJ

Ohhhh just saw yours is over 10kw my bad. You’d probably end up spending about the same.

2 Likes

@TwistedStill uses this exact model

Mine is only 8kw I think, but that same model line. I rarely put mine under full load with my 12x24 jacketed collection and base.

6 Likes

I’ve used it make sure you remove the screen on the inlet.
You will need a higher pressure pump to get the correct flow rate. I used a pump like this.

You can also run these in series to get water hotter faster

7 Likes

I daisy chained 2 propane on demand ones with a whole house shallow well pump 24kws of heating power with up to 20- 40 psi of pressure for the jackets. I used 1 1/2 " pvc and a big well insulated cooler to hold roughly 25 gallons of anti freeze. Whole set up set up was roughly 600$ works better than a 5000$ 12kw china heater .

5 Likes

I use 2- 24kw with 1inch copper and 3 way valves. I have hot and cold on demand with separate return lines and a 3rd line as a dump.

4 Likes

I used the dump valve for the water jackets creates great flow

2 Likes

This is a must or your flow will slow as the screen clogs up over time.

3 Likes

How long does it take to heat up with just one?

1 Like

It depends on the inlet temp and desired out temp. You should be able to achieve a 30 degree rise, after a couple laps it can get up to 130 if you want.

3 Likes

Does anybody know where I can buy 4 gauge wire for this? I’m trying to determine what it’s called I know it’s 3 wire+ a ground and I can wire it to a 60amp DP… but can’t seem to find the 4 gauge wire for it

6 GA will be good for 50 feet.
Where are you located?
Home depot is usually the best for copper wire

5 Likes

Ok cool. This says to use a 60amp DP breaker, when looking it up, 6 gauge is for 55amp… I’ll probably be around 30 foot run. Wanna be extra safe but if 4 gauge is overkill then I’ll run 6. Got Home Depot’s all around, just not sure what actual wire I should get, I don’t see a wrapped 3 wire one ground cable on their website