Water heater

Romex or so cable. Will work and you won’t need conduit

6/3 is the one?

6/2. They don’t count the ground just the hots and neutral. That water heater doesn’t require a designated neutral. Just wrap the white wire with black or red tape.

3 Likes

You’re the man thank you

Hey buddy, what kind of pump do you have hooked up for your tankless water heater set up? I looked into one and it said don’t run it longer than 40 minutes…

1 Like

He just using a Home Depot sump pump in a cooler

1 Like

I use this one. You can use it as a submersible pump or externally as a transfer pump.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-HP-2-in-1-Utility-Pump-UTA02510/303642270?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

2 Likes

Just a home Depot sump pump, similar to what was linked. I’ll get you a pic in a bit of the set up…get you our of those 1000 word pictures

4 Likes

Man all you guys have been amazing with the help on this thank you so much

1 Like

I use a cooler as an open reservoir, where the sump pump lives. It pumps through the wall, to the hot water heater, then back through the wall and to the collection base etc. I have a valve on the outlet at the reservoir, so I can throttle the flow. Being able to adjust the rate of flow is another way to control temperature. The sump pumps move more volume that the water heater is expected to see, so the water moves too quickly through the water heater and doesn’t get the heat transfer it would get under lower flow conditions.

5 Likes

That’s genius with the valve on the end. You are the man for posting this brotha seriously appreciate it.

I’ve never seen that type of attachment you used to your compression fitting on the heater… is that like a 1/2” copper pipe to a 1/2” barb?

The heater had compression fittings for copper pipe if I remember correctly…like built into the heater…so I’m sure I just came up with a janky ass way to adapt it to pex at the hardware store

4 Likes

If it works it works def looks like compression fitting for copper pipe lol kinda awesome you did it that way

2 Likes

I just used barbs and hose clamps that pex looks much nicer :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the picture i am in the middle of sourcing all the stuff for mine, looks like I’m going with an electric rheem with around 32kw, a 50 gal reservoir, i just need a pump i think. I wonder if having a sous vide in the reservoir would help keep it warm enough if I’m pumping too fast. The valve to control flow is a great idea.

2 Likes

A sous vide is maybe 1500 watts. A 32kw water heater will be more than enough

The water tank size really doesn’t matter when working with a 32kw heater, the tank is only there to help purge air from the system

2 Likes

sweet yeah i forgot twisted said his is only 8kw and i can always just slow it down if the pumps out running hx, but yeah 32kw should be more then enough for what i am doing. Good call on that! I’ll throw a little update when i get mine up and running if i run into any issues.

2 Likes

Been using this set up for 3 years. It works great. You can get a water heater pump off Amazon for $100 trying to load the photo but it’s not going through?

1 Like

Uploading: A69E7A60-445F-4DC6-A6DE-D87E3D2EB5E8.jpeg…

1 Like

7 Likes