Water clear carts; help with the bigger picture

Thats good information right there and will be utilizing that at some point. I greatly appreciate your wisdom! I’m sure i will have more questions going forward.

okay this confuses me a little bit. The part i think that is confusing me is the “using converted d9”. Converted from what? Thank you for your response though! I love continuously learning.

You can turn CBD into D8 or D9 with things you have in your kitchen (although you probably won’t do it well with just that tooling).

It’s cheaper, and some argue “federally legal”.

You might want to read a little before going that route.

2 Likes

Alright so i have a centrifuge, fritted tubes, carts, terps and diluent in case its a bit too viscous, pentane, etc. I am just waiting on jars to finish up, but i made them using only the strong tek bc the terps smelled great. Especially the mac stomper. Can’t bring myself to spin off the terps on that jar. If i can get the pyrex dish to nucleate (mentioned below), i’ll throw one of the dungeon family jars that popped a lid into a pyrex and add pentane. Just don’t want to start adding pentane to a bunch of stuff without getting the results we are looking for first.

That pyrex dish had a little bit of crude in it, and 10% pentane by volume. I had no such luck getting it to nucleate. Currently trying 20-25% and mixed it in to see if i can get better results. The crude is very thick at this point since it was small jar i was just fucking around with to start. Started it using only the strong tek + otswalds ripening for about a week. Didn’t really like the results (i pheno hunt everything in my garden, so there’s really no telling how things are going to turn out in terms of getting thca to crash out). After that week, took the lid off the jar while it was cold, put it on 90F heat for 24 hours and then put the lid back on. Increased heat to 100F. No crashing out after 3-4 days. Increased to 110-115 for a couple days. Rather than wait longer, I said fuck it and bought some pentane bc i wanted to play with that tek anyways. Seems like it could potentially save a lot of time.

So that’s where i’m at right now. Just waiting on either that pyrex to nucleate, or some jars to finish. My patients also want those jars as is though too…so we’ll see what their fate is. Either way, got plenty more stuff to run.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me get this far, and sorry it took a little bit to report back. Didn’t want to post on here again until i could show some progress, and show that all of your advice is being implemented and greatly appreciated beyond what i can type on this keyboard!

1 Like

Ahhh okay this makes more sense now. Im going to read more into that but am not getting d9 that way. Following your guidance, using a centrifuge

1 Like

Converted Delta 9 refers to Delta 9 that was made by converting CBD into Delta 9.
Delta 9 has a Chiral Center and depending on the orientation of it, it is more or less psychoactive. Converted Delta 9 has a much less desirable Chiral Center. For argument’s sake let’s say you have 100g of 100% Delta 9 but it has only 50% of the desired stereochemistry orientation then you would have 50 g of “desirable material”. On the other hand you have the same 100 g with 90% Delta 9 but 85% of the desired stereochemistry then you will have 76.5 g of the “desirable material”. 76.5g is more than 50% more than 50g. I hope that makes it clear.

1 Like

Is this true, I thought delta9 was delta9? Do you have a source?

Yes it is true. And yes Delta 9 is Delta 9 but it is not the whole story, as I’ve pointed up above​:point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up:

1 Like

Do you have a source? Ive dealt with conversions and with natural D9 so I’d like to read more about this. I understand that D9 is chiral but I thought the stereochemistry of CBD was preserved in an acid catalyzed cyclization

@Oscar https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.1c00513

3 Likes

Interesting read. I distill what I believe to be fairly high quality Delta 9 and I charge my customers more than what other people charge and my customers are still happy to pay that… Well that was until I think it was in the second half of last year my sales dropped significantly and I didn’t understand why until my customer told me that they get converted Delta 9 that tests at just under 98% for significantly less than what I charged for what was his last purchase that tested at right around 89% (99% total cannabinoids). And so for a while I was completely screwed but then after I think it was a month or two he came back to me and said that for some crazy reason my stuff feels somewhere between 50 to 70% stronger to him and his customers and he couldn’t understand why. To be quite honest at the beginning I didn’t either. But a long time ago in a life long ago almost forgotten I played around with a bunch of different psychoactive materials and as such I understood the importance of the chiral orientation as pertaining to psychoactivity so I decided to test that theory and lo and behold, that’s exactly what I found to be the cause. That is my personal experience with it.

4 Likes

ya get it figured out?

Ive been making it for quite a while now. Might be able to help! :wink:

6 Likes

Is that D9?
How long does it stay stable for?

3 Likes

yes it’s d9. No D8 present at all. I have a jar that’s been stable since February. Vac seal the lid on, or fill it with nitrogen. For best stability including in the cart, mix with clear cannabis or hemp terpenes. This will keep the distillate from oxidizing and creating a dark layer. I have tester carts sitting on a shelf that have made it almost a year so far and they still look just like the day I filled them.

11 Likes

I don’t have it figured out like you do lol your carts look beautiful. I also don’t have a distillate apparatus though either. I’ve been making jars of sauce, whether it be hot jar tek or ots, then spinning the terps off per cyclopaths recommendation. Been a long couple months though bc those ld-3 and ld-5 centrifuges are JUNK. Had one for 45 minutes. Motor burned up, has to send it back. Still absolutely ridiculously poor, so had to find a reliable fuge for a decent price (thermo fisher cl2 or a fisher scientific model 225 with the right rotor does the job. About $300-400 before shipping usually. can maybe find cheaper. Paid $425 total for mine. Highly recommend those two models as opposed to the ld3 or ld5 if anyone reading this is in the same barely floating boat as I). But now that that’s dealt with, been making carts again. Can get them pretty clear depending on the purity of the crystalline. Harder to get all the terps off microcrystalline, those carts turn out more yellow than those made with big clear diamonds of course.

Won’t be for another 2 years most likely bc my gf is in med school, but once I get a distillate apparatus, better pump for said apparatus and a rotovap, I would LOVE to learn more about your process! Feels like a ways away, but I think we all know just how quickly two years can go by.

1 Like