Washing Machine "Salad Spinner" tek

Through the internal pump, out the drain. I’ve yet to see one explode. Probably not rated for ethanol, but I have 2 that have been spinning for a couple years now

8 Likes

I bought a brand new whirlpool and I’ve never had a problem with the pump either. You can always modify it and add a better pump though.

Also you don’t need to add that salad spinning trash can thing that they had in the video. You can just put your weed-filled mesh bags in the washing machine as it is(just make sure they are balanced).

5 Likes

What kind of material is ok? Or just stick to silkscreen?

1 Like

I like the dry cleaning bags from Cascade @Sidco_Cat

5 Likes

This is used to recover the additional ethanol in your material post soak/ quick wash?

2 Likes

Yup

2 Likes

great idea!

1 Like

For anyone looking for an easy plug in controller for the washing machine conversion here you go…

I’ve talked with the guy for some time and he was always responsive. Whirlpool is preferred but he has a list of machines he’s already tested on. it’s as simple as looking at the bottom of the machine to make sure the modified wire harness lines up

2 Likes

Cannabis Disorienter: budget version!!

I’ve been referring to salad spinners as lettuce disorienters for years…'cause lettuce is better eaten dizzy, so it doesn’t get scared and try and protect itself :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Would a front loader be a viable option?

1 Like

What is the spin speed you have on your washers? We just got one that maxes out at 800 rpm, top loaded. When we got it we were informed that front loaded machines tend to spin faster, around 1200-1300 rpm, but also tend to walk. We opted for top loaded due to easier loading with more even distribution. So, my question is would 800 rpm be enough for > 95% solvent recovery? Or rather how much do your machines recover?

1 Like

get a BOCK. they come in a variety of sizes. including explosion proof models.

they’re not cheap. but they’ve been around for almost a century with very few design changes.

6 Likes

Nice. I was actually looking for something like that, alas i could not find one and thus settled on a washer. Thanks for the link, I’ll be looking for one of these.

1 Like

understand that you’ll be looking at used machines. $6-15k for the ones worth having imo. Although I’ve heard that they’re so heavy many of them go straight to scrap rather than resale when the laundromat is done with them. So you might get lucky and find one for a couple of $k.

BOCK went out of business due to a liability suit…a kid lost an arm in a laundromat. Their designs were picked up by another firm, so you can purchase new if you’d prefer, but I don’t recall the name of the company and I’m not going digging for it right now.

Edit: I think it’s these guys https://northstarengineered.com/fp95-centrifuge

2 Likes

Well, most likely upgrading to a serious system within the year. Something that meets all the safety specs. In the meantime this washer will be first try on something larger than a small dry spinner. My small one goes to 1200, so I’ll see how far 800 goes.

1 Like

it’s not the speed that matters, it’s the number of g’s. which is dependent on rotor diameter (and speed). You can also make up for lower g’s with longer spins.

I was looking at the BOCK’s to perform the actual extraction in. Now on the wait list for a CUP from Delta Separations.

4 Likes

Yeah, the cup is the more serious equipment i was referring to as well. :smile:

Thanks for the info. Got a samsung cause it was the only one that had spin only with various speeds and was in stock. Haven’t tried it out yet.

1 Like

Btw, we are looking at a new solvent mix 200 proof etho with n-heptane. Do you think that would change using the washer for recovery with heptane in the mix?

1 Like

Make sure all the plastics and hoses are rated for your solvent.

2 Likes

Indeed. Heptane is more corrosive, I’ll make sure to check.

1 Like