Warm Ethanol Extraction Time

I see a bunch of you guys on here that add this powder and that powder, do this and do that for the same distillate as I get with just a simple cryo wash, celite 545 filter (only), rotovap, decarb and finish purging in 2l spd flask in the mantle, then into the spd on 1st pass.

Unless I’m missing something.

I’ve done 10 min, 20 min, and 40 min cryo washes, I believe I was leaving thc behind on my 10 min washes. So I do 40, as I’m cheap, and need to get the most for the work I put in.

6 Likes

I agree with you and you are 100% correct.

Not every lab has cryo and as such these labs approach this the long way because for them its the only way, until they can get the boss to upgrade them/ afford it etc etc

4 Likes

By cryo, I mean tossing dry ice directly into my trim and ethanol.

I only use food grade dry ice rice.

2 Likes

by adding DI to etoh are you not changing the ph ?

3 Likes

Have no clue, never checked. But my 86 and 89% lab tests results tell me I must be doing something right.

Especially for only ever doing 2 runs

5 Likes

You also don’t re-rinse the biomass, right? I’m thinking I should probably extend my soak times as well. The 10-minute soaks were yielding less than anticipated, and judging by your results I really don’t see a downside to ensure I pull more cannabinoids even if I might also pull a little more undesireables and have to use a little more dry ice. I keep hearing other extractors in my area swear by re-rinsing spent biomass, and that’s something I’m actively trying to avoid since it requires more solvent.

Another potential downside I could see with longer soaks in an open vessel with dry ice directly added is more water being pulled into the solvent from surrounding air from keeping it so cold and exposed for so long. Are you seeing significant changes in the proof of your ethanol after reclaiming it?

2 Likes

Shoot me a dm, I’ll pass over my sop. I’ve kinda posted it a few times openly, but it gets jumbled in the mix of things. I learned 90% from the time I’ve been here, and I’m all about pass it forward. Have to get my karma points back up.
Lol

I’m all about efficiency. I also do this, plus grow, and family. I cant tell you when I actually had 1 24hr day off of working. And a vacation, lol.

7 Likes

I do room temp extraction partly because I don’t have the ultra low freezer and partly because of the hassle. I tend to get pretty nice distillate by room temp extraction but I do plan on upping my winterization technique a bit. I typically yield 60-70 grams of nice first pass distillate per pound of my own trim.

2 Likes

Is there any more from doing 10 mins -90 vs 5? Does agitation make a difference when soaked this long?

When you say do a re wash do you mean after you panda? Once we do that it’s so green. Even after running through carbon looks rough

1 Like

I’ve been reading that many people have issues with carbonic acid altering the pH of the crude and causing isomerization down the road, why don’t you have the same problem?

1 Like

I dont use powders to winterize. I cryo winterize, the filter thru celite 545, then rotovap, then purge/ decarb in my bf, then spd.

2 Likes

is there any info/data as to what temp etoh extraction pulls the most cannabinoids? I assumed warmer solvent is a more powerful solvent and would dissolve more cannabinoids in it along with other unwanted compounds.

so room temp extraction pulls more cannabinoids but requires more cleanup correct? does this cleanup remove more thc down the road then if a person had just done a subzero extraction in the first place?

3 Likes

I haven’t really seen anyone post solid numbers but I prefer room-temp since I can get away with using less solvent.

With post-cleanup the only thing that comes to mind that can hurt yields is carbon scrubbing to remove chlorophyll. I get around this by just doing LLE saltwater washes and polar/nonpolar. You can remove chlorophyll without hurting yields but carbon is the easiest way IMO

I like room-temp better because cryo extraction is like walking on a tight rope - too high of a temp and you pull the compounds you were avoiding in the first place and too low means you pull less of the desired. Also, you may have issues with pH depending on how you use dry ice

5 Likes

I hear if you flush ur carbon with clean etho after the t or canabs come out of the carbon

3 Likes

Heres my last 2 spd runs, and my only spd runs I’ve ever done.

1 pass
Mixed trim, etoh washed 200 proof NONDENATURED!
Dry ice use in trim and etoh to keep cryo.
30 and a 40 min soak
Filter thru buchner with fritted disc, and a bed of celite 545 only.
Rotovap
Purge/decarb in 2L BF in mantle
Spd

Do you see any isomeration due to my DI possibly?

1 Like

If you have a multiple stack lenticular I’m sure you would get a good amount out. Thanks for the idea.

Hi can you elaborate on this method , I love the idea of it @Demontrich

High PH activated charcoal from Carbon Chemistry.

1 Like

Does it work good? any cons?

I’ve posted my sop a few times. It’s around here.