Wanted: Analytical Chemist (HPLC/GCMS) - Denver, CO

Good Morning Future another day another job opening at MC Nutraceuticals!

We are looking for an expert HPLC Operator in the cannabinoid space although with our research on how cannabinoids are tested on HPLC that is not required.

Problem we currently have:
Most analytical chemist in third party testing are extremely stuck in their ways on analytical testing with the separation of these cannabinoids. So understanding the problems and being able to adapt to fix them is the #1 thing we are looking for. 95% of Analytical labs can not separate Delta 8 THC, Delta 9 THC and the other 3-5 isomers that are made. We must get clean separation, identification, and quantification of this specific example which will continue to be a problem with many of our other compounds that we create.

Skills Required:

• Ability to maintain, build, and use used HPLC equipment
  • Ability to understand the co-elution of cannabinoids and separation cannabinoids
  • Degree in Organic Chemistry and or Synthetic Chemistry
  • 2-5 Years in HPLC operating experience
  • Eagerness to learn
  • Ability to Manage employees
  • Ability to maintain 3rd party testing requirements
  • Ability to build SOPs for GMP requirements
  • Ability to do custom formulations with large scale reactors

Nice to haves (these will determine where you lie on the salary range):

• Ability to maintain, build, and use used GCMS equipment
  • Masters in Chemistry or PHD
  • R&D support for synthesis of hemp derived cannabinoids
  • Pass a GMP audit and ISO audit, without outside help
  • Develop / perfect separation issues with HPLC equipment
  • Read NMR Data
  • Background Experience in testing pesticides
  • Background Experience in testing water

Included: Benefits and catered lunch everyday

Future Promotions include:

• Director of Chemistry - within 1 year - Salary 80-100k
  • Chief Innovation Officer - within 2 years - 100-150k

Salary Range 60-90k
Onsite in Golden, Colorado

13 Likes

You need to use MS not hplc

1 Like

Might be worth listing existing analytical equipment, or what equipment you’ve budgeted for.

mass spec is a detector - you can put a MS on an HPLC (i.e. HPLC-MS). You can also have multiple detectors, like a MS and UV.

6 Likes

You know what I mean

Gcms is the easiest way to seperare any of the d8 and d9 isomers regardless of what kind it is (d9/d8 thco, d9/d8thcp, d9/d8 thcv, regular d9/d8)

2 Likes

We have a 30 minute method on HPLC that works pretty well, but still trying to figure out which way we want to go.

GCMS is clearly better.

2 Likes

We have a 150k budget for analytical equipment, if needed.

This is why I need more schooling :face_exhaling:

1 Like

For routine work, GC-FID is sufficient.

4 Likes

Its a filter and a detector

but does it have pleasure mode?

2 Likes

Mmm I find decoding ms fragmentation pattern quite pleasurable…

4 Likes

Do you have any existing equipment, or is the 150k budget to put your analytical department together?

You should be able to get a used LCMSMS for cheap (<100K). A used GCMS under 70K. Your HPLC + either LCMS or GCMS should provide enough information to quantify what you need. Routine QC labs are built for speed and volume. Not for special requests from clients, unless they are a contract lab that specialize in such. Most labs don’t want extended runs or running 2 methods for quantifying minor values (<5 %), which is probably needed when looking for separating all of these isomers. Most analytical methods are developed around a certain matrix with a somewhat known chemical fingerprint and concentration. It is almost impossible to quantify, accurately, all cannabinoids present within a concentrate sample in 1 sample prep (dilution included) with 1 instrument using 1 method. Something will suffer and be misquantified or misidentified.

And no doubt that most companies can outpace most analytical labs when it comes to development. It’s difficult for labs to predict where the market is headed and what kind of taste it desires. Vitamin E acetate comes to mind. By the time most labs knew what was causing the sickness and developed a method to test for it, the industry had moved on from it. And there was no market for that test.

I don’t know why I keep typing things you already know, maybe it’s the coffee…

2 Likes

Building out from scratch already have the methods developed

I totes bought a used Agilent GCMS 5980 from MSU for $500. :smiley:

5 Likes

ya GCs are real cheap and available.

1 Like

I bought a used shimadzu GC-8A w/ TCD for $20 at Oregon State Used sale years ago. I was stoked !

3 Likes

I’m lookin to pick up a GC if anyone knows of used ones for sale

Like someone else said, analytical labs are businesses that rely on routine volume testing. They are not as likely to spend the money to develop methods for testing for obscure cannabinoids that don’t have market share of interest. Also, if they seem stuck in their ways, remeber that testing labs need to validate methods. This is very important and essentially keeps them from continuously making little tweaks here and there to the method. Plug and chug is not the way regulated testing labs operate.