walk me through this. new to N2 assist and active recovery

hi guys. im looking for some guidance here. just started messing with my 2.5 lb mt st helens. distilled a full recovery column full of solvent and it was about 12 lbs. i get that if im using n2 assist i can blast the full contents of my solvent tank out. but what if i have 25 lbs of solvent on my solvent tank? how would that work? i blast n2 into my solvent tank till ive filled my recovery column with 12 lbs of solvent. but then ive got my entire system above that full of solvent. right? how is that dealt with? is it just going to pull through as i recover? thanks in advance for any advice or info.

no clue what this bit means.

not certain you’re using N2…

assuming you’ve got 12lb of solvent and 40PSI of N2 in your solvent tank. which is where you are planning on recovering TO. and you’ve got vacuum in your receiver…

no way anything is pulling into that solvent tank till the pressure is lower than wherever the solvent was beforehand (your receiver, once you open the valve from your column).

draw it out on paper and post it if you can…

1 Like

is the solvent that is in my material column and in the lines from my solvent tank to the material column going to purge out when i recover my solvent or will it remain in the column and line set? i cant apply heat to my material column. i feel like after i recover all the solvent from the collection vessel (recovery column i think i called it) there will still be a bunch of solvent in my feed lines and material column

1 Like

yes im using n2 assist

Just pay for a consult

im open to that. do you have a good recommendation? how much should i expect to pay?

That depends on the consultant and the job. I charge 250 for 8 hr over the phone. I’d probably charge 2500 to come show you in person.

There are many talented people on here, and you can definitely find out all you need for free.

1 Like

The liquid in the line will recover when you recover the solvent from your mayerial column. Just leave the valve open where there’s liqiud in the line to the column.
If you leave the valve closed that connects to the line that has liquid in it, it will not be possible to revover it.

Post a pic of your system

1 Like

are you using propane? (post tagged as such)

nitrogen AND a pump seems overkill for propane on that system.

@Slabby St. Helens Extractor - (2.5lbs.) - 4"x24" – Open Source Steel

1 Like

yeah its a 40/40/20 blend 20 propane

I use 404020 also
You would need n2 if your tanks cold.

1 Like

Ok just looked at your system.
Theres no way to recover the column alone.
You have 2 options. You can leave your injection and blast valves open during recovery. By the end the column and lines will be the same psi as your collection pot.
Or you can close you blast valve. Recover and once the psi in your collection drops you can spray whats stuck in the column by opening the valve.

If your running n2 and an injection coil you can stick your injection coil in warm water when your done injectiong to create vapor to force all the liquid into the column

3 Likes

we are running cold solvent. not super cold. around 1-8f. we just keep the solvent in a chest freezer for now. not looking for a total dewax. just want to keep water solubles out. we are looking chillers. im still confused how they work tho and if one can be used for my solvent tank. ive only seen dry ice runs. never seen a chiller in action

If your tank is jacketed you can use a chiller

solvent tank is not jacketed.

Then you wont be able to easily use a chiller.
Not worth ot unless you have jacketed things

1 Like

dry ice is crazy expensive to cool a solvent tank. ok for the condensing coil for now. ill have to look into upgrading.

Do you run passive? I havent chilled my solvent tank in almost a year or collection (Active)

no its active.

1 Like

Why you chilling your tank? Not needed.

My coils are the only things that see ice.

Boom just saved you money.

I run a 50lb tank. Lets say i only use 25lbs. The pressure in the solvent tank will be overcome by the recovery pump and eventually the cold solvent thats coming from your coil will start to cool the solvent in the tank dropping your pressure to 20psi or less depending on how empty your tank is. If you use the whole tank its at like 10psi throughout all of recovery.

2 Likes