Vacuum Oven Temperature

What temperature do you guys set your vacuum ovens at? I have mine set at 81 F.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bit low. Should turn out some nice sugar at that temp though. I start mine around 90 and end up below 104f

6 Likes

What solvent are you trying to purge? If butane, whats your end goal/result, sugar, comb, shatter, wax?

For my ethanol purge i do 85*f. I guess i could bump it up a bit

4 Likes
6 Likes

70/30 butane/propane. end goal = shatter.

I purge BHO at 115-120F at down to -29.5" Hg in a thin film until the bubbling slows to a crawl.

The short explanation:

The 115-120F is to ensure the oil is in liquid state for the butane to easily escape the matrix.

The down to -29.5" Hg means I donā€™t ever pull past this point. I donā€™t leave the pump running, which would take the vacuum down to -29.9", which I believe is unnecessary as the 115-120F @ -29.5" Hg is deep enough to remove any moisture, and pulling a deep vacuum on and on possibly disturbs the matrix leading to waxing up. I go for shatter, and consider other products unfortunate ā€˜accidents.ā€™ But feel free to cook up whatever waxes, budders, honeycombs, crumbles you want, just donā€™t expect me to buy into them as premium grade product.

This process will get you to below the residual butane solvent standards as quickly/efficiently as possible, further purging is unnecessary imo, and Iā€™ve presented a long and thorough case for my opinion in a single thread previously.

ā€œAt what ppm can you taste butane?ā€

11 Likes

Very interesting, thank you.

Do those other states (budder, crumble) occur at higher temps?

Shatter/pull-n-snap=91 deg F.
Wax/honeycomb=120-135 set F.
Crumble=140-150 set F.
Sap=150-170 set F.
All are temps are in Fahrenheit, vacuum set at -29.8 inches of mercury. Happy extracting!
Note:The higher the temperature, the more precious terpenes and flavonoids are lost into the atmosphere. There are different ways you can distill off the terps, and re-introduce them at the end. Or you can buy the organic terpenes and add those to a flavorless oil. You can get them in the same terpene profile as the strain you used, or put in fruity terp of whatever your heart desires. I personally make shatter and lower temp wax to preserve my terps naturally. To each his own.

8 Likes

Typically I go 99.9Ā°F for 3 days with a flip every 12 hours. I rarely go over 103.6Ā°.F. Sometimes Iā€™ll be a little adventurous and go 107.8Ā°F. Usually itā€™s around 99.9Ā°F -101.3Ā°F for me.

5 Likes

99.9Ā°F flip every 12 hours 3 days.

7 Likes

Could you please share how you make sugar? Thank you, once again

i take a high terpene butane extraction that was recovered at 65F. I recover all my butane. Pour out concentrate on ptfe paperā€¦let it sit in my oven at like -10inhg at 80F for a few daysā€¦during the processā€¦ill open the oven and take the trays out and get the oil to move a bit by tilting the trys to try and get it to nucleate. Once that happensā€¦I take that nuclation point and press it to other parts of the slab to by to get it to nucleate there as wellā€¦ I can usually get a slab of live resin to sugar complete out inside 3-4 days. I dont lose a lot of terps cause i just straight scrape it off the paper.

Easy peasy!

11 Likes

#BHO-I find if I never go above 100 deg F. No nucleation points appear. Unless I want them to. Some people ā€œwhipā€. I find if you raise the temps to 120F under full vac. it will wax.

2 Likes

Looks great! A lot similar to what I do. I also flip every 12 hrs. 72 hrs is about how long I stay in the oven also. At those temps the slab never fully stops reacting. (Well maybe after a week or more, after all the terpenes have degassed as well) By trial and error you know when to pull your shatter. After all the solvent has ā€œvappedā€ off the terpenes will react under vacuum, at temp. (Being they are volatile themselves, but we want them to stay.) Finding the ā€œsweet spotā€ to pull a slab of shatter that has not seen temps over 100 deg F. Is a matter of much controversy. If anyone has anything to add, or constructively criticize, I welcome others opinons. Sometimes a teacherā€¦Forever a studentā€¦Keep making medicine! Show these pharmaceutical giants we donā€™t need 95% of the poison they manufacture! We have only scratched the surface of the medicinal value of this herb! Think of the benefits of cannabinoids that science has yet to discover! I think it is an exciting frontier that we should be working as a whole (cannabis community) to further the horizon. Keep experimenting! Safely of courseā€¦Peace and Loveā€¦Kid Kannabi5

13 Likes

Recently I switched to 86.6Ā°f for 6 days to a week with a flip every 24 hrs. I also purge my slab with the pump every 12 hrs without flipping the slab. This has given me very clean results twice so far.

4 Likes

Any updates? Still using the same methods?

Thanks

@GroovyOctopusLabs

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on a dab break. But when I get back to making dabs Iā€™ll be using those temps and times again.

Honestly flips every 6 hours for 72 hours at 99.9Ā°f is usually how I speed purge unless it looks like it could still go then I bump the temp down 10Ā°[f],go another day or two at 8 hour intervals for the flips.

2 Likes

Thanks! Are you flipping on ptfe paper?

2 Likes

No problem :octopus::slightly_smiling_face:

No I use unbleached parchment

This stuff to be exact

4 Likes

I heard something about the Reynolds regular parchment that eho can rip off the logo which has traces of ink. ā€¦ Something like that. Thatā€™s not why I switched,I made the switch when I wanted a cheap RAW Parchment Equivalent,although I think RAW makes hemp based parchmentā€¦ . .

I never used the RAW Parchment I just know it used to be expensiveā€¦

Ewwwww raw parchment is coated with silicone. . ā€¦ Fuck that stuff good thing I never used it

1 Like